[Reader-list] Walking the streets with Zainab and Pratap

Jeebesh Bagchi jeebesh at sarai.net
Fri May 3 18:05:57 IST 2002

Over some period now, i have been in a regular conversation with a group of
young people in the LNJP basti (New Delhi). Streets and movement is something
we have discussed and talked about many a time. It is usually about harsh,
aggresive and obnoxious behaviour of men towards women, no pedestrian paths,
no lighting, hard traffic, anti-disabled etc. Also, talked and discussed have
been the expereince at home where `dangerous streets` always meant a
legitimate ploy to justify `stay at home` (safety, security and safe from
influence of unknown). We also talked about meeting strangers and being in a
crowd.

Today, a young woman narrated an  interesting perspective. She said that
being on the street we sense a freedom but fear looms large because we are
alone. So if we can build a community (sanjha) of users, we will walk with
more freedom. She actually was more interested in walking the streets and all
the other ideas were being filtered through the desire for that practice (or
act).

I write this in response to Zainab and Pratap's postings.

best
Jeebesh