[Reader-list] (no subject)

Rahul Jindal rahulj at glide.net.in
Sun May 5 16:36:28 IST 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Zainab Bawa" <coolzanny at hotmail.com>
To: <reader-list at sarai.net>
Sent: Thursday, May 02, 2002 7:16 PM
Subject: [Reader-list] (no subject)

> Dear Readers,
> I am new on this list and have been very keenly reading all the postings.
> must say that I am very happy to be part of this list.
> On the issues of Gujarat and Communal Violence (actually they are as one
as
> dual), I have been reading many postings. I have two questions for which I
> invite generous responses:
>
> 1). How much of the happenings in Gujarat are economically motivated?
Also,
> what are the economic pay-offs to this whole incident?

Sorry for catching on with this, this late. I just wanted to bring forth an
observation.

The regions in which the riots are the most are the most economically
promising regions.
They have seen an increase of land rates of around 300% over the past few
years.

An example of a region was given (which is in the worst affected area) where
one lane of muslim houses was completely destroyed by "mobs" (as they come
out of nowhere) which was comprised mainly by the people (mostly labourers)
from the rest of the lanes (inhabited by hindus).

Secondly in the same areas diamond works are being agressively setup, so
what better time to scare people away from them than now ?

A friend of mine who is going to IIM-A this year is more scared by the
violence (in the area) than the course itself!

Cheers
Rahul