[Reader-list] Googlism

Tripta tripta at sarai.net
Fri Nov 1 00:56:06 IST 2002

Interesting website (and concept) which opens up even further discourses and
avenues of looking at the notions of navigating the cyber space and managing
the plethora of information available.

within the non-linear, random access structure of the Internet with the amount
of information available made making sense of it is an issue.

inspite of the potential of the medium to accomodate the aggregrative rather
than the subordinative nature of the oral culture and the objectivity offered
by the print to create `writing spaces', the physical and visual field
defined by a particular technology where writing is a creative play of signs
as david bolter puts it, the navigation within the internet is still very
linear in some senses and the play of signs not being played very well.

the search engines, GOOGle, provide  centers / referntial points within the
otherwise flat non-hierarchal structures-imposing a linear / hierarchial
percpetions of it. and the fact that, hit-per-month on a website alleviate
the level of the specific `website' on the google result page consolidate
their position. does any one of us ever visit the 50th listing on the 20th
result page of google? and if not why? why do we vest so much of confidence
in the results generated by google?

i use google and many other search engines and this is in no ways an attack on
Google or what it does? do website and concepts like www.googlism.com have an
answer? neither do i? but i am posing questions which are important for me to
enhance my understanding and mobility within this space.

are we trading the centers? and are we not distancing the websites on the 50th
listing of the 20th page? and because it works in a loop...not going to that
website ensures that `that' website will not ever come to us. till the time,
it an accidental discovery of an enthusiastic surfer with a lot of time and
patience. are we not then establishing our own centers and peripheries and
illusioning ourselves to believe otherwise because of the inherent character
of the structure. can we break away from practices of operating in a linear
fashion? can we allow for the chaos to take over and not be intimidated or
apprehensive about the notion the word conveys or what it is made to convey
to instill order and allow it to evolve it's own language?

we have the langauge(html). can we develop the grammar and syntax?

and then think about the following. is googlism offering alternatives or is it
reinforcing the ideas?
the ones that got me really thinking twice about hitting the google button
(which i did anyways?) are:
 google is my other memory
google is probably archiving all of your images
 google is a part of my brain
 google is a careless custodian of private information
 google is best
				so there it is. a cool concept.
google is that?
 google is three
 google is a user?s best friend
 google is tops for work time searches
 google is still spidering and caching my old server
 google is goood
 google is urged to go public
 google is the real winner in its own
 google is the world's favorite search engine
 google is your friend
 google is the most popular search
 google is faaasst
 google is one of the best search
 google is gong bezerk
 google is out of beta
 google is featuring the google
 google is $deity
 google is so cool
 google is here
 google is the best"
 google is dancing
 google is lief
 google is watching you"
 google is at it again
 google is first time our top referer
 google is microsoft ?
 google is #1 search
 google is a powerful weapon indeed
 google is thinking
 google is anti
 google is 'feeling lucky'
 google is excluding knife advertising
 google is having a programming contest
 google is the greatest? at news
 google is 'feeling lucky' the googleplex
 google is
 google is so popular
 google is that? om malik
 google is able to process search queries at speeds superior to traditional
search engines
 google is proud of their advantage
 google is three times bigger than the experts think
 google is a user?s best friend by john mccormick special to gcn every web
user should know how to exploit the features of the powerful google
 google is your family
 google is not an anomaly
 google is tops for work time searches by abigail waraker
 google is my other memory
 google is still spidering and caching my old server 35 dayes and still
counting
 google is goood positive things about google
 google is a harsh mistress
 google is in the black by kieren mccarthy posted
 google is urged to go public 12
 google is urged to go public google is urged to go public
 google is now indexing this list
 google is the real winner in its own contest by paul festa special to zdnet
news may 31
 google is the world's favorite search engine by olaf jüptner
 google is more than an academic debate on copyright law
 google is not going to do anything as a result of it
 google is a dot
 google is replacing bookmarks
 google is the most popular search engine
 google is unique among search engines in that while it almost always shows
you pages that have the exact keywords you are looking for
 google is faaasst just tried google
 google is one of the best search engines by tootough2be
 google is one of the best search engines i use google all the time to find
everything
 google is gong bezerk it seems forums are flooded with complaints about
google's new search algorithms
 google is gong bezerk post a comment name
 google is still choosing to take advantage of the safe harbor provision of
the digital millennium copyright act
 google is featuring the google posted may 20
 google is a target for any optimization campaign simply because it has
managed to obtain the most attention from users on search
 google is $deity i finagled work into buying me a wireless
 google is the best"
 google is an internet search engine
 google is dancing expect the full update to appear within the next day or so
 google is the most popular search engine on the web according to onestat
 google is the only search engine
 google is a privately held company and does not divulge financial information
 google is oft
 google is just the juice
 google is watching you ever wondered how many pages google is keeping track
of for your domain? submitting this form
 google is the point
 google is in fact a company
 google is probably archiving all of your images
 google is a part of my brain
 google is a careless custodian of private information
 google is best
 google is already mostly rest friendly
 google is increasing its infrastructure as fast as it can
 google is a powerful
 google is indirectly supporting their anti
 google is smart
 google is the real winner in its own contest
 google is the best search engine
 google is a sensitive thing
 google is the only dotcom to achieve the rare distinction of zero percent
employee turnover
 google is your friend i knew when i wrote this
 google is surprisingly light
 google is the greatest? get the latest news and information at news
 google is now the search engine of choice for most of the web and it handles
over 150 million queries a day