[Reader-list] Googlism

Supreet supreet at sarai.net
Fri Nov 1 16:32:28 IST 2002

On Thu, Oct 31, 2002 at 07:26:06PM +0000, Tripta wrote:
> Interesting website (and concept) which opens up even further discourses and
> avenues of looking at the notions of navigating the cyber space and managing
> the plethora of information available.
>
> within the non-linear, random access structure of the Internet with the amount
> of information available made making sense of it is an issue.
>
> inspite of the potential of the medium to accomodate the aggregrative rather
> than the subordinative nature of the oral culture and the objectivity offered
> by the print to create `writing spaces', the physical and visual field
> defined by a particular technology where writing is a creative play of signs
> as david bolter puts it, the navigation within the internet is still very
> linear in some senses and the play of signs not being played very well.

First of all don't use www/http and internet interchangably. They are two
differen things all together. In this case this is important because your or
david bolter's statement refers more to http protocol flaws rather then
internet infrastructure schema itself. Although I could and will disagree to
that statement even because when you are requesting a page it is the user
who is precieving the linearity but reality is something else. Distribution
of task and source of information happens all the time on internet. If you are
saying that interface that is your browser does not allow you to see that
distributiveness, well change that interface and use something that does.
the assimilation of information  into linear form happens at your browser
interface.

> the search engines, GOOGle, provide  centers / referntial points within the
> otherwise flat non-hierarchal structures-imposing a linear / hierarchial
> percpetions of it. and the fact that, hit-per-month on a website alleviate
> the level of the specific `website' on the google result page consolidate
> their position. does any one of us ever visit the 50th listing on the 20th
> result page of google? and if not why? why do we vest so much of confidence
> in the results generated by google?

In case you haven't noticed google is not based on simple hit rate algorithm
at all. Google uses something called page rank algorithm  which is not as
simple as hit rate equals higher in google search.

I can partly tell what happens inside google crawler. Crawler goes to a
certain page and adds the keywords from that page. Then it checks in its
database for pages and websites which point to that page or website. If
there are more websites with high ratings pointing to that URL or several low
rating websites pointing to a URL it would get high rating. So i think its
very democratic.

> i use google and many other search engines and this is in no ways an attack on
> Google or what it does? do website and concepts like www.googlism.com have an
> answer? neither do i? but i am posing questions which are important for me to
> enhance my understanding and mobility within this space.

First of all google is not so good guy preception is without any basis as
shown earlier and most probably googlism would based on google for doing
what it is doing.

> are we trading the centers? and are we not distancing the websites on the 50th
> listing of the 20th page? and because it works in a loop...not going to that
> website ensures that `that' website will not ever come to us. till the time,
> it an accidental discovery of an enthusiastic surfer with a lot of time and
> patience. are we not then establishing our own centers and peripheries and
> illusioning ourselves to believe otherwise because of the inherent character
> of the structure. can we break away from practices of operating in a linear
> fashion? can we allow for the chaos to take over and not be intimidated or
> apprehensive about the notion the word conveys or what it is made to convey
> to instill order and allow it to evolve it's own language?

I have been testing this for quite a while now, having a customized crawler
walking through first 20 to 100 pages pointed by google would yield more
relevent results.

Milage would differ depending from search string being provided. But still
it would be better than going to "20th page for 50th result"

There are several research papaers on this subject for details. the one I
like most is
Authoritative Source in a Hyperlinked Environment at
http://www.cs.cornell.edu/home/kleinber/auth.ps