[Reader-list] Ramallah - 2

Monica Narula monica at sarai.net
Thu Oct 3 14:38:34 IST 2002

A culture under fire

Palestinian artists have suffered more than physical hardship - they
have also had to deal with censorship, harassment, and the
destruction of their work. In the third of a series of major articles
on the intifada, William Dalrymple looks at the struggle to keep art
alive in wartime

Wednesday October 2, 2002
<http://www.guardian.co.uk/>The Guardian

It is never easy running an arts centre in a small provincial town.
Overcoming indifference and getting the punters in, attracting good
work and making ends meet - these are the problems faced by such
places across the globe. What most arts administrators do not have to
face is rampaging enemy troops, occupation, F-16 bombing runs, siege
and curfews:

"The first time the Israeli army paid us a visit was at Easter," says
Adila Laidi, the chic, French-educated 36-year-old who founded and
runs the Sakakini cultural centre in central Ramallah. "Voilà! They
broke in and trashed the place. Though peut-être we should be
grateful they didn't actually blow it up."

In this they were relatively lucky. The previous day, on a visit to
Bethlehem, I had seen a similar arts centre run by the Lutheran
Church. The pastor had taken me around, showing how Israeli troops
had completely smashed up the new $2m Lutheran centre, blowing up
workshops, smashing windows and fax machines, shooting up
photocopiers, and bringing down ceilings with explosive charges in an
oddly pointless bout of thuggery that caused over half a million
dollars' worth of damage. Compared to that, the Sakakini got off
lightly, with permanent damage only to doors and computers.

Despite such trials - indeed, partly because of them - the Sakakini
is an extraordinary place. Founded in 1988 on the wave of optimism
that followed Oslo, it is a vibrant centre of Palestinian creativity,
housed in a beautiful early 19th-century Ottoman villa made of stone
the colour of feta cheese. It sits at the top of a hill in one of the
more wealthy middle-class areas of Ramallah, surrounded by villas and
bars and private schools. Upstairs there are spaces for poetry
readings and film screenings, while downstairs there are a series of
well-lit exhibition spaces. The energy of the place defies the
stringent constraints imposed on it by the state of siege.

"It's difficult to do this work under constant curfews," admits
Laidi, "though it is true that the occupation has provided some
Palestinian artists with wonderful material." The ceramicist and
installation artist Vera Tamari, who turns up for a chat in Laidi's
office as we are speaking, is a case in point. Vera has spent half
her life as an artist under Israeli occupation: "Up to Oslo, the
Israelis used to monitor all our exhibitions. There were very few
Palestinian art galleries, so we used to hold our shows in schools,
churches, municipal halls - whatever was available. People piled in -
students, labourers, political people, shepherds. It was so crowded
that there was hardly any room to see the paintings. It was the first
time in their lives that many of these people were seeing actual
works of art. Their noses were rubbing against the paint as if they
wanted to smell the oil. "It was very exciting, but the Israelis soon
became aware of the importance of these exhibitions and started
hitting the League of Palestinian Artists. They made us get permits
to show our work, censoring art and invading artists' studios.
Several of us were imprisoned, usually on charges that they were
painting in the colours of the Palestinian flag. They would say, 'You
can paint, but don't use red, white or black,' and they would
imprison you if you used those colours. You couldn't paint a poppy,
for example, or a watermelon: they were the wrong colours. Often it
was up to the artistic judgment of the particular officer in charge."

The occupation has always lain at the heart of Tamari's art, but
recently she found that the Easter incursion provided her with some
unexpectedly rich subject-matter. When the Israeli tanks rolled into
Ramallah, they made a point of trying to punish the Palestinian
civilian population by destroying as many private cars as they could:
"It was just a game to them," says Tamari. "Sheer bravado. The tank
commanders would drive along the pavements rather than the roads,
taking out as many cars as they could. Then they started driving up
into people's drives and garages, wrecking anything they could find.
For weeks afterwards, all these smashed-up cars were lying around:
people kept them, hoping to sell bits of the engine, or perhaps the
seats. They didn't want to face the fact that something so expensive
was completely lost. Of course, there is no insurance for an act of
war.

"A friend of mine had a little red Beetle that we used to go out for
drives in. It was one of the cars that was destroyed, and when I saw
it all smashed up with its legs in the air like some dead insect, I
had the idea of making an installation with these cars. I got the PA
to lay a stretch of tarmac on the edge of the El Bireh football field
- a road symbolically going nowhere - and arranged the crushed cars
in a line, as if in a traffic jam. We had a big party to open the
exhibit - le tout Ramallah - and went home at midnight. "Then, at
four that morning, the Israelis invaded again. My house was opposite
the playing field and I could see the Israeli tanks passing. They
would stop when they got to the installation, and you'd see these two
heads pop out of their turrets and you could see them transfixed by
this sight, trying to make sense of it. Eventually, after about a
week, a whole cohort of Merkavas turned up and the tank commanders
got out and discussed what to do. Then they got back into their tanks
and ran over the whole exhibit, over and over again, backwards and
forwards, crushing it to pieces. Then, for good measure, they shelled
it. Finally they got out again and pissed on the wreckage. "I got the
whole thing on video, and was delighted - of course. I have always
been a great admirer of Duchamps. He had a nihilist-dadaist show in
Paris once in the 1930s. And when they were putting it up, one of the
workmen dropped a case of his paintings, smashing the glass. Duchamps
was thrilled: 'Now it is complete,' he said. I felt exactly the same.
The cars were now in tiny, tiny pieces. Before the second incursion I
had had to make simulation tracks to mimic the path of the tanks. Now
we had real ones. This was the ultimate metamorphosis for my work."

Across the corridor from Laidi's room is the office of Hassan Khader,
a John Simpson lookalike who works as managing editor of al-Karmel,
the leading Arabic literary magazine and the most prestigious arts
journal in the Middle East. In style and typeface, the magazine is
closely modelled on Granta: a thick, serious-looking paperback book
with long prose articles interspersed with poems and grainy black and
white photographs. Khader's office is piled high with papers and
unopened Jiffy bags full of unread submissions. His desk is a sea of
A4, though much of this relates to his other life as a translator: he
greatly admires David Grossman's work and has translated his first
novel into Arabic. Khader was born in Khan Yunus camp in Gaza in
1953. Five years earlier his parents had lost everything - including
their extensive ancestral landholdings - when his family was
ethnically cleansed from their (now bulldozed) village of al-Jaladyah
on the creation of Israel in 1948. But Hassan was a clever child, and
a series of scholarships got him out of the camps and into university
in Cairo. It was there that he made contact with the PLO, and before
long he had risen to edit the PLO literary magazine. He continued to
edit it throughout the siege of Beirut, as the Israelis pounded the
offices with phosphorus shells. Compared with which, he says,
bringing out al-Karmel under occupation is child's play. "When they
broke in here at Easter, they knew the place was a cultural centre,
but they still smashed it up. They broke open the door with
explosives, destroyed all our computers, took all the hard disks.
When the curfew was lifted, I came back to find papers all over the
floor. They had upended all our filing cabinets and wandered back and
forward over our latest proofs. There were the marks of jackboots all
over our poetry."

Khader is a sociable sort, and his office is a beacon for the writers
and novelists of the West Bank, several of whom dropped in for a chat
as we were talking: Ramallah is under curfew so often these days that
everyone seems to take the opportunity to get out and see friends on
the few days the Israelis allow them to do so. While I am there, the
talented Palestinian film-maker, Mai Masri, wanders through,
discussing her latest project in the Ramallah camps, and five minutes
later the novelist Yahia Yakhlef drops in for a cup of coffee.
Together he and Khader sit bemoaning the state of the Ramallah
bookshops. "The Israelis have always stopped books coming in from
Jordan and they censor what they do allow in," says Khader. "It's
almost impossible to get any decent novels in Ramallah these days."
"The al-Shouq bookshop hasn't managed to get new stock for two
years," adds Yakhlef. "There hasn't been a single delivery since the
second intifada. Only cookbooks are left." "We all try to get around
the problem by ordering stuff from Amazon," says Hassan, "but the
Israelis still hold up deliveries for two or three months. You can't
get anything until long after you have lost interest in it."

If Hassan is the man who does most of the daily grind of putting
together al-Karmel, then the figurehead who started the magazine and
whose name gives it its prestige is Mahmud Darwish, the most
celebrated modern Arabic poet and the man who represents the apex of
Palestinian artistic achievement. He has sold more than a million
books of poetry and is such a hero in the Arab world that, when he
gave a poetry reading in Beirut, they had to move the venue to a
sports stadium: more than 25,000 people attended. Even in Ramallah,
besieged as it is, he attracts capacity crowds of more than 1,000
when he reads his work at the local Kassaba theatre. Darwish, a thin,
handsome, articulate man of 60, was out of Ramallah during the
incursion and was aghast when he found that the Sakakini had been
trashed and that his manuscripts and poetry had been ransacked: "The
Israelis wanted to give us a message that nobody and nothing is
immune - including our cultural life," he says. "I took the message
personally. I know they're strong and can invade and kill anyone. But
they can't break or occupy my words. That is one thing they can't do.
My poetry is the one way I have to resist them. I have to deal with
this with the pen, not by stones."

Here he raises his hands in exasperation: "For us the tunnel is so
dark that you cannot even see the light at the end. In a different
situation I would like to give up my poetry about Palestine. I can't
keep writing about loss and occupation for ever. I feel it deprives
me of my freedom as a poet. Am I obliged to express my love for my
country every day? You have to live for love, for freedom. The
subject of occupation itself becomes a burden. I want, both as a poet
and as a human being, to free myself from Palestine. But I can't.
When my country is liberated, so shall I be. "When that happens, all
Palestinian artists can go off and write about love and hope and all
the other things in the world. But until that time, our duty is
clear. We have no choice."

William Dalrymple's book, White Mughals: Love & Betrayal in
18th-Century India is published next week by HarperCollins, price
£19.99. He will be lecturing on the book at the Royal Geographical
Society on Friday October 25. Tickets from Stanfords, 12-14 Long
Acre, London WC2E 9LP. Tel: 020-7836 1321. See also
<http://www.williamdalrymple.uk.com/>www.williamdalrymple.uk.com
--
Monica Narula
Sarai:The New Media Initiative