[Reader-list] Reverse Gear

Praja Foundation prajaf at vsnl.com
Fri Oct 11 14:13:11 IST 2002

Nice joke about cultural misconceptions
-yazad

One day I met a friend of mine. He was a salesman for a Cola company,
posted in the Middle East. Seeing him back home, I got surprised and
asked, "Weren't you supposed to be in Arabia ?"

He gave his account thus.

"I got posted in the Middle East. I was very confident that I would
make a good sales pitch as Cola is virtually unknown there. But, I had a
problem. I didn't know any Arabic.

So, I planned to convey the message through pictures. I made 3 posters
First, A man crawling through the hot desert sand.. totally exhausted
and panting. Second, The man is drinking our Cola. Third, Our man is now
totally refreshed."

"Thats a very good ad", I said, "what can be a problem with that?"

He replied, "Well, I didn't know Arabic, neither did I realize that
Arabs read from right to left..."