[Reader-list] JubileeIraq

Joshua Craze lacfadio at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Apr 10 17:35:37 IST 2003

CANCEL IRAQ'S DEBT! http://www.jubileeiraq.org

A group of people have been working on a project called
Jubilee Iraq for the last few weeks. The idea is simple. Since the focus of
the world is currently on Iraq and its 'liberation' by Coalition forces, lets
try to hold them to their word. Ask them to cancel the massive Iraqi debt,
which, after all, was accrued under the dictatorship of Saddam Hussein. Either
they expose their complete hypocrisy and refuse to cancel the debt (in which
case thousands of people start thinking about issues of global justice for
the first time), or they cancel the debt and we can say 'and now what about
Indonesia? and South Africa? and Chile?...'

Either way this is a win-win situation. Either way we catapult the issue of
debt and global justice back into the public eye.

In order for this campaign to work we need massive amounts of help. The first
thing you can do is visit the website at www.jubileeiraq.org and sign the
petition. If you think the campaign is a good idea, please spread the word
through any organisations and networks you may belong to. We don't have any
funding, and so this method is the only one we can use to inform people of
the idea. If you are really keen, please feel free to get in touch with us
with offers of help!

We are especially keen to gain endorsements from prominent figures and
organisations...the bigger the profile of the campaign, the more chance that
it will be noticed and become an issue on the national (and international)
stage.

Please consider devoting a little of your time to this issue. It may be the
best opportunity for years to highlight the blatant injustices of the current
global system. Help us seize it.

Yours,

Joshua Craze,
Oxford