[Reader-list] Forced Migration & Kashmiri Pandits: A Historical Perspective (Posting 2)

meenu gaur meenugaur at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 4 00:50:13 IST 2003

I’d like to begin with a brief cultural and historical introduction to the
Kashmiri Pandits, which I hope would serve as the background for my research
on the Kashmiri Pandit refugees in Delhi.

Kashmiri Pandits are the Hindus of the Kashmir Valley. To begin with, the
designation Pandit that is applied to Kashmiri Hindus was requested by Jai
Ram Bhan, a Kashmiri Hindu courtier in the Mughal court of Emperor Muhammad
Shah (1719-1749) in Delhi. Before this period both Kashmiri Hindus and
Muslims were addressed as khwajah in the Mughal court. Kashmiri Hindus call
themselves and are called by their Muslim compatriots, batta, from the
Sanskrit bhartri, meaning master. They are a minority in the Muslim majority
Valley (which has a more than 95% Muslim population), which in turn forms a
part of the State of Jammu and Kashmir. The estimates of their population
vary from the 7 lakhs of some right-wing Kashmiri Pandit organizations to
the more moderate figures of about 2 lakhs. As to the Indian census, the
figures on Kashmir’s demographics have been mired in controversy. (Even then
according to the government of India census 1981, there were 124,078 Hindus
living in the Valley in 1981. Assuming a rate of “natural increase” of 2 %
per annum, one can, more or less, reach an approximate figure). All in all,
the Kashmiri Pandits are a very small but significant minority in Kashmir.
Their centrality to the cultural and political life in Kashmir can’t be
overstressed.

There is much that has been written on the distinct cultural identity of
Kashmiri Pandits who have a long historical and cultural tradition that goes
back centuries to pre-Islamic, pre-Buddhist Kashmir. But interestingly their
peculiar way of life came into being only in the time of the Muslim Sultans
and the ethnicity which marks their difference from the Hindus of North
India has more to do with cultural and philosophical exchanges with Sufi
Islam.

Here we are concerned with the forced migration of Kashmiri Pandits from the
Valley in 1990s after a pro- Independence armed uprising challenged India’s
rule over Kashmir. The Kashmiri Pandits were a Hindu minority in a moderate
Muslim Kashmir up in arms against India. Moreover the uprising turned to
Islam for inspiration. In early 1990, the Kashmiri Pandits began to migrate
out of the Kashmir Valley. (The arguments and counterarguments on these
migrations will be discussed at length in future postings).

The migrations of the Kashmiri Pandits from the Valley (voluntary or forced)
have happened across centuries. The 1990 migration, though unprecedented in
scale (most of the Pandits, barring a few exceptions, slowly but gradually
left the Valley), seems to be a repetition of earlier such migrations in
Kashmir’s history. For example, in 1394 A.D Sultan Sikandar came to the
throne and soon earned the nickname of “Butshikan” or Iconoclast because of
the fanaticism with which he destroyed the temples of Kashmir. The Pandits
were offered the choice between exile and death. And many Pandits migrated
from the Valley. But Zain-ul-Abidin succeeded to the throne in Kashmir in
1417 A.D and his long reign of 52 years is believed to be one of the
happiest periods of Kashmir’s history. The chief glory of the great king’s
reign was his tolerance towards the Kashmiri Pandits, the king manifested
every desire to repair the wrongs inflicted on the Hindus by Sultan
Sikandar. He encouraged the Pandits to learn Persian, inducted them into the
bureaucracy and gave them grants of land. Zain-ul-Abidin repaired some of
the Hindu temples and revived Hindu learning. As a consequence, the exiled
Pandits returned to the Valley and with them came many Brahmans from the
South. Sultan Zain-ul-Abidin came to be known popularly as “Budshah” from
Batta- shah i.e. the King of the Battas or the Kashmiri Pandits. So, in the
matter of a century we have both a Butshikan and Budshah. Certain
commentators on the extreme Hindu Right, however, argue that it is
Zain-ul-Abidin who initiated the process of what they call ‘the cultural
colonization of Kashmir by West Asia’, but as a matter of fact it is in the
reign of Zain-ul-Abidin that arts and culture flourished and added to the
rich heritage of Kashmir as we witness it today.

The political class in Kashmir has often been tyrannical. Different
communities ruled Kashmir - the Hindus and the Buddhists, the Shias and the
Sunnis, the Sikhs of the Punjab and the Dogras of Jammu. And it is in these
periods that those communities which were persecuted migrated from Kashmir.
The point being made here is not that the migrations of Kashmiri Pandits in
the 1990s should be seen in the perspective of such medieval and late
medieval migrations. But that there are precedents to such migrations in
Kashmir’s history not without relevance to the ways in which the people in
the Camps construct their present. For instance, none of these migrations
were irreversible.

At the Sultanpuri Kashmiri Pandit refugee camp in New Delhi, when I asked
some residents whether they would return to the Valley, they said that they
would if they had security of life and employment. When asked whether
socially it would still be possible for them to live with Kashmiri Muslims,
a retired teacher told me that it was hardly the problem, “We (the Pandits)
would apologize to them (the Muslims) for leaving the Valley and they would
apologize to us for letting us go and things would be the same but the only
consideration is a secure and free life, full of dignity”. Due to the
political climate, the relationship between the Hindus and Muslims might
have come under pressure but has not collapsed totally under the
machinations of the political elite. The tensions in the relationship
between the Kashmiri Pandits and Muslims have roots in the post-1947
developments in Kashmir which I’ll take up in my next posting.

[It should also be remembered that in the last 12 years of insurgency in the
Kashmir Valley, people have been displaced on both sides of the LOC. The
migrations from the Valley also include thousands of Kashmiri Muslims to
India but more significantly tens of thousands of Kashmiri Muslims migrated
from the border districts of Kashmir to Pakistan. After the Chittisinghpura
massacre of 35 Sikhs in South Kashmir there were apprehensions of an exodus
of Kashmiri Sikhs. But this has so far been avoided.]

Any comments or suggestions are welcome.