[Reader-list] The Poverty of Debate on Iraq

Rana Dasgupta rana_dasgupta at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 20 02:39:57 IST 2003

Are, Jamie

I think there are two separate projects going on here.

There is the attempt to formulate simple arguments for
and against a US-led war on Iraq that can help to
improve the level of the debate.  This is Jamie's
project.

And there is the attempt to understand the whole
phenomenon: motives, politics, alliances, who stands
to gain from what, what is the nature of the system
all this is taking place within, etc.  I think it is
because this is Are's project that he is frustrated
with what he sees as the limited scope of what Jamie
is saying.

I think both projects are important, and stand
separately.  But I have deep sympathy for what Jamie
is trying to do because I think that at a time like
this there need to be arguments presented in terms
that everyone can understand and agree on.  At a time
like this there is no point formulating arguments that
can only be accepted by people who already agree with
your entire world view: who already believe that
global capitalism is a menace, that America is a
marauding aggressor with

> a truly
> psychopathic personality without accountability and
> a low, uncaring IQ

as President, etc.  We need to leave those issues
aside and formulate arguments that could actually mean
something and perhaps even convince people who would
completely disagree with us on those other things.

(Since you bring up the phrase, "civil society", Are,
is this not a fine civic project?)

I don't think that those who focus on how f**ked up
everything is - and it is - have a monopoly on
seriousness in these kinds of issues.  When things are
so polarised as they are right now such a focus will
change nothing.  To restrain one's bewilderment and
dismay and build a language that can act on the
problem is an equally serious project right now - no,
more so.

I think the rather pathetic Fox News slight - though
not intended for the public domain - is therefore
completely unjustified.