[Reader-list] Thanda matlab coca cola - part 2

Monica Narula monica at sarai.net
Mon Jan 6 14:26:12 IST 2003

You ask very pertinent questions Yazad. I agree that its unfair to
single out a certain commodity when everything else might work on
similar principles, but i think that even if part of the facts in
this email were true, its an interesting comment on a general
situation where a) the normalizing of a commodity, and the moral
economy that is deployed to make some other commodities (alcohol,
soft drugs, etc) "wrong" and b) the parallels that can be imagined
with other industries.

Frankly I forwarded it for a laugh, but its interesting to think further.

best

At 11:54 +0530 06/01/03, Yazad Jal wrote:
>Very interesting, just a few questions.
>
>1. What is the source of the data? "75% of Americans are chronically
>dehydrated" is a major statement to make. Is there research to back it up?
>Maybe a citation would help.
>
>2. I hold no brief for the Coca-Cola Company. But why single out Coke? Do
>Pepsi / Thums Up etc not fall in the same category? Are they devoid of all
>the fantastic "benefits" Coke gives us? What about non-cola aerated drinks
>like Limca / Fanta / 7 Up etc? What about non-aerated soft drinks like
>Rasna? On a closer reading this sounds like a smear campaign against Coke.
>Maybe the focus should be on the generic category, or on _all_ brands within
>the category. If only Coke and not say Pepsi has all these harmful effects,
>then perhaps one should state that.
>
>These are very serious statements. I would like to know more about the
>research on which it is based.
>
>-yazad
>
>>  Water versus Coke!
>>
>>  We all know that water is important but I've never seen it written
>>  down like this before.

Monica Narula
Sarai:The New Media Initiative
29 Rajpur Road, Delhi 110 054