[Reader-list] article on technical neologisms

Joy Chatterjee joy at sarai.net
Fri Jan 17 13:13:26 IST 2003

As I have repeatedly mentioned that translation of computer terms from
English to vernacular languages doesn't help anyone till it makes usage of
computer easier. If I translate the terms in Sanskritised Hindi [emphasis on
use of matter of Sanskrit], it is very much possible for a section of people
that they hear the words used for the terms for the first time. Then they
need dictionary to understand the meaning of the word for his/her own
comfort. In such case translation of term is mere assertion on rigidity of
linguistic identity [rigidity of linguistic identity is absolutely baseless
as languages are formed through mixing of many other languages] but of no
help. I would not use the language of growth, borrow etc, as they are not
applicable
in the context of language. Languages exists and changes laterally with
time and space.
Hindi is there because of such lateral movement, it didn't evolve out of
space that it needs to be preserved in its present form.

But the problem is, if we use, for example, Urduised Hindi [or emphasis on
use of matter of Arabic or Persian] in that case I think there is equally
large number of population who cannot understand those words. Then again they
need dictionary.

What I am trying to prove that there is no one Hindi or one Urdu or one
Bangla which can be emphasized on while working on translation of terms.
Presently we are only looking at academically recognised languages, forget
about other dialects and sub languages or similar languages. I am not sure,
all the desktops and
programmes and their every new versions will ever be translated in
Hariyanwi, Bhojpuri or Rajbangshi.

In such situation, if we have to do terrorism of academically accepted
language I think it is better to do with English. Even if we forget the
positive implication of a global language like English in the era of
internet, still, by using English, user might need to look at the dictionary
only. But they need not to wait for translated software and a dictionary both.
Thus we need to think about the Indic-Computing itself.

And at last let us stop thinking Engilsh as a foreign or external language.
There are people who just waiting for such segregation.

Best

Joy