[Reader-list] Of Urban localities and Bazzar(s) photography

Rahaab Allana lonequest_2k at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 28 14:31:13 IST 2003

Dear all,
I have tried to keep the following...short and clear.
Please feel free to remark and suggest.

In the interim period I have been trying to analyze
the growth of Bazaars in India, mainly north India
from the 18th Century. It appears that the movement of
people in the north was conditioned by politics
ofcourse, as well as the mobility acquired by
religious institutions. For instance, in the 19th
Century, donations made to Hindu priests was
considered good for business, and temples, whether
Shaivite or Vaishnavite, considered as hub centres for
commercial enterprises. Once Delhi became a buffer
state, the trade within it increased leading to the
migration of craftsman and traders from the North
West. Even farmers started to settle (Bhattis) on the
periferies of Delhi, that is the Haryana region.
Due to the dwindling control exercised by the Mughal
State and the proliferation of Qusbah's lets say,
there was piracy (of handicrafts mainly) as well as a
rise in the number of illegal ganjs (small market
localities). Since profits and capital were not being
effectively injected into the economy, that is, to
promote modes of production, the rising taxation
created a problem for those within the state, leading
to a number of revolts in bazaars, I think 18 in all
from around 1820-1857.
The 1840's is also the time at which photography was
introduced in India, as an art form and mode of
reportage. The practise of photography, first by, the
English who could afford it and later, Indian kings
and communities, creates an interesting narrative of
the development of the city (Delhi) which soon became
the capital in 1911. Apart from those photos that show
us views of Delhi, there are images that link
photography to art history, such as hand tinting and
cut-and-paste work (against false backgrounds) that
can be related to dated cinematic methods.
Though my project deals with the contemporary form and
functions of Bazaars laced with the practise of
photography within them, I think a clear reading of
transformations (structural and stylistic) is needed
in order to see, how habits (even the idea of
pilgrimage) and tastes are changing as well as what
they might lead to in the future.
I look forward to responses.
Rahaab.