[Reader-list] Women's hostels- 2nd posting

shefali jha shefalijha at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 31 11:09:18 IST 2003

Hello.

As part of our project on Women's hostels as urban spaces in Hyderabad,we
have spent the past month doing research into the history of the Women's
hostel at Osmania University,which is one of our case-studies,the other
being the CIEFL (Central Institute of English and Foreign Languages)women's
hostel.We have been looking at general histories of Hyderabad and documents
relating to the hostels,dealing with their establishment,architecture,rules
etc.Most of this has happened through spending long hors in the University
Library.
The other aspect of our work has been talking to people,and this is in
keeping with the general approach we intend to adopt,combining research with
interviews,personal narratives etc.We have spoken to a few 'old-timers' at
CIEFL and hope to get discussions and exhaustive interview sessions going.We
have also met some of the faculty at Osmania University,who have been of
great help in leading us to possible candidates for interaction,that
is,their students.
The next month will be spent building on these slender leads and basically
talking to different women in an effort to achieve some sort of a grounding
in their experience of hostel-life and how it relates to their experience of
the city.These women come from diverse backgrounds and it will be
interesting to see how they locate themselves in relation to the
hostel-space,and how this space changes with their interaction.

Shefali & Navaneetha, Hyderabad.