[Reader-list] on the space of women's hostel

sadan sadan at sarai.net
Fri Jan 31 21:34:07 IST 2003

Responding Shefali's posting,

shefali the psoting sounds interesting. would you kindly write a more on the
nature of sources that you are looking for the construction of the history of
this space of women's hostel. What kinds of documents are you looking at? I
hope you are not exploring the historical construction of this space not
merely in terms of positivist understandings of the history. I also hope that
you would be analysing the question of locality and neighbourhood while doing
field work. But tell me are you also looking at how different people who have
been part of this space visualise this space. Issues of male gaze, sexuality
and the fear/pleasure that this gaze generates make this space of women's
hostel as a site of contestation too. I hope you are keeping an eye over some
of the issues of various scopic regimes that this urban space
enjoys/resists...
If you are  interested in hindi literature I suggest you to kindly read a
recent story of Sitakshi Singh on the universe of a girls hostel. It came in
Hans few months ago. If you are interested i can send you the exact
reference.
cheers
sadan.