[Reader-list] The Empire Strikes Back

Menso Heus menso at r4k.net
Mon Jul 14 06:57:09 IST 2003

Belgium has decided to drop the genocide law under pressure of the US.
The genocide law made it possible for people to prosecute war criminals
from all over the world.

The US didn't like this and threatened to move the NATO headquarters from
Belgium, after which the fresh Belgium parliament decided to drop te law
(after having offered the US to change it several times already). People
wanted to bring Bush, Rumsfeld and Franks to Belgium court. Sharon is also
happy the law has been dropped, since he was on the list of war criminals
also.

The new Belgium government decided to take parts of the genocide law in
the regular Belgium law, basically rendering it useless for prosecution
of war criminals, since Western countries are excluded, as are heads of
state and diplomats.

Empire - Belgium, 1-0.