[Reader-list] Women's hostels- second posting

shefali jha shefalijha at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 7 20:39:55 IST 2003

Hello everyone.
Our monthly posting is a little late and we’re sorry about that. Our search
for theoretical material on Women’s hostels continues, and if anybody has
any suggestions on that we’ll be very grateful.
For this month, our round of interviews was begun /continued. One person we
had a long and extremely interesting and helpful conversation with was a
lecturer in Political science at Osmania University, who told us about her
own experience of hostel life and introduced us to some of her students who
could help us out. She spoke about the time of the Mandal agitation, when
she was actually warden of the Women’s hostel (the largest in Asia- bet none
of you knew that! We didn’t !) and helped to bring about some sort of
harmony in an increasingly polarised community. She also spoke about the
time they launched an agitation to implement women’s reservation in the
University, after which the number of women students has increased steadily.
Another interesting thing she told us was about the experience of living in
a hostel for the first time,having come from a smaller town and been away
from the family for the first time, since this is one of the axes of our own
project. She spoke about managing not only her own life on new terms but
also taking part in others’ lives as,say, a member of the Mess committee.
The other set of preliminary conversations we conducted were with some
ex-inmates of the CIEFL Women’s hostel, who told us about the time that they
had an agitation about changes in hostel rules. This
coincided,unexpectedly,with a new initiative in this direction,this time
from a much younger first MA batch, but this time the struggle did not even
get to the administration, which was the case in the first instance, but was
carried on mainly within the hostel, with some very interesting debates
taking place. These were debates that seemed to challenge our ideas about
binary oppositions like orthodoxy-heterodoxy, the traditional and the modern
etc. which are the terms such discussions are usually carried out in.
  Thus, although our main focus this month has been on the OU hostel, CIEFL
has also turned up some very useful discussions which have fed into our
research this month.And we must thank Sadan and Shilpa, especially
Shilpa,for their interest and inputs. We’re looking forward to more of
these.
Regards,
Shefali and Navaneetha.