[Reader-list] Info on South Asian film festivals

Mridu Chandra mriduchandra at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 13 06:12:53 IST 2003

Dear Friends,

I recently finished producing a feature length documentary that we would
like to send to film festivals in South Asia.   It’s difficult to find
information about some of these festivals and their deadlines, so I thought
I’d ask the community.  I was wondering if you have any thoughts on film
festivals we should apply to, such as gay and lesbian film festivals, or
human rights film festivals, and simply international film festivals that
take documentaries.

I was particularly looking for the correct email address for the Bombay
‘Sexual and Gender Minority Film and Video Festival,’ and any information
(i.e. web site or contact, deadline for entry, etc.) on international film
festivals in India.  I once attended the International film festival in
Bombay but can’t find any contact info on the web.

BROTHER OUTSIDER is a feature-length documentary portrait of Bayard Rustin
-- a lifelong crusader for justice, a disciple of Gandhi, a mentor to Martin
Luther King, and a gay man who paid a remarkably steep price for daring to
be open about his sexual identity during the 1940s, 1950s and 1960s. This
award-winning film was broadcast nationally on PBS here in the U.S. and was
featured at the 2003 Sundance Film Festival. It has been invited to lesbian
and gay festivals in London, Turin, Toronto, Boston and other cities and
will be part of the upcoming Amnesty International Film Festival.

I thought this film would be of particular interest to Indian festival
audiences because our film demonstrates clearly how Gandhi influenced the
American civil rights movement.  Rustin studied Gandhian principles of
nonviolence as they were demonstrated in the 1930s and 1940s by reading
articles in the African American minority newspapers. Moreover, Rustin
visited India in 1948 to study Gandhian protest and met Nehru and other
prominent writers and scholars at the 1948 Jaipur Congress session. Rustin
then developed an American version of nonviolent protest—including sit-ins
in restaurants which would not serve black people— and later advised Dr.
Martin Luther King, Jr. on how to lead a nonviolent movement which spanned
30 years and led to the establishment of civil rights legislation in 1965.
This is all part of the film.

Hope to hear from you,

Mridu Chandra
Producer, BROTHER OUTSIDER: THE LIFE OF BAYARD RUSTIN
Question Why Films
32 Union Square East - Suite 1005
New York, NY 10003
voice: 646.602.2375
fax: 646.602.2571
www.pbs.org/pov/brotheroutsider
www.rustin.org

CRITICAL ACCLAIM FOR "BROTHER OUTSIDER":

"Vividly brings back to life a man who deeply and brilliantly influenced the
course of the civil rights and peace movements ... a thoroughly honest
portrait of Bayard and his tumultuous times." --Nat Hentoff, The Village
Voice

"Poignant ... Rustin came to see his struggle as a homosexual as
inextricable from his struggle as a black man in America. But neither
mainstream society nor even the civil rights leadership could cope with his
honesty."   --TIME Magazine

"Like Rustin, the film is alive with ideas, fast-paced and surprising, and
rich in humanity. It’s beautiful like him … and it’s got rhythm." --Kate
Tuttle, Africana.com

"Evokes with poignancy the many trials of Rustin -- a beautiful man, a
gifted singer, a dynamic speaker, and a successful civil rights leader --
who never attained the stature of King, Ralph Abernathy, or Jesse Jackson,
primarily because he was gay at a time when homosexuality was fodder for
blackmail." --The Boston Globe

"Outstanding." --Associated Press

"Marvelous." --Wall Street Journal

"Well-crafted and even-handed ... first-rate." --Variety

"Illuminating." --Chicago Tribune

"Powerful ... startling." --The Advocate