[Reader-list] upanyason ka shahar- second posting

kundankaushav kundankaushav at indiatimes.com
Wed Mar 12 18:55:39 IST 2003

Dear friends,

This my second posting on Upanyason ka shahar: its images and its economy.

I started my field study from Burari, a place in outer Delhi to meet publishers like Manoj and Radha. Since it was my first attempt to do any kind of field study, I was nervous. So nervous that I alighted from the auto at Sant nagar, a place which is 2-3 stops before Burari. I had to walk a considerable distance to reach Burari. It was not very difficult to find the office of Manoj publishers. With dried throat I whispered in the ears of the watchman that I wanted to meet the owner of the publishing house. Watchman was a nice guy. He infiromed the publisher, some Mr Binod. I was called in. Mr Binod didnot show any interest in me. Without looking at me he asked the reason for my visit. I said that I am working on the project related to hindi pulp fiction and wanted to talk to him in this regard. He was little amused. He looked at my face and with a very conspicous smile and said that he cant help me as he was very busy and suggested me to talk to the writers as they are the one!
 "who are responsible for these upanyas".

I begged him to give me some time but my prayer fell on deaf ears.

I came out. My nervousness was gone. I said to myself lets face radha too. when I reached at Radha publishers office a huge gate , obviously closed, greeted me. I asked the watchman to tell the Malik that I want to meet him as I am doing research on upanyas. The watchman got suspicious. He said " aaj tak to nahi soona hai ki koi upanyas pe bhi research karta hai. Jaaeye, jaaeye Malik saab sabse nahi milte".

I asked him to give me an appointement with his malik saab.

He refused.

I said " bhai kam se kam unka nam to bata do".

He said" sabko nahi batate".

And he ran away.

So I was not even permitted to enter the office.

The seclusion is well maintained. It seems tough to break the shell. But lets hope for the best.

Now I am concentrating on readers and sellers of these books. I would like to share my experiances with them in the next posting.

Till then

Cheers.

Note: Those who dislike these fictions, especially detective fiction would find a friend in Edward Wilson who wrote " who cares who killed Rodger Akyard".
Buy the best in Movies at http://www.videos.indiatimes.com
Bid for Air Tickets @ Re.1 on Air Sahara Flights. Just log on to http://airsahara.indiatimes.com and Bid Now !