[Reader-list] ISPs: that bad?

Arun Mehta arunlists at softhome.net
Tue Mar 11 10:07:00 IST 2003

Two lakh surrendered their connections since Jan? Talk about fiddling while
Rome was burning...

There are clear measures that the ISPs can take  to cut costs, and increase
sales:
1. Offer Net access through WiFi, so that they have an attractive,
affordable solution for large clients.
2. Encourage interlinking of ISPs in every town where there is more than
one. Right now, the routing of packets from Indian senders to Indian
receivers in absurd -- typically, via the US. There is talk of setting up
large regional bandwidth exchanges. I have nothing against those, but much
easier and quicker to start is the decentralized interconnection of ISPs.
3. Stop this mutual blockage of Net telephony, look to grow the market for
everyone. If Net usage increases, ISPs will be the ones to immediately benefit.
4. Cut down spam. Make sure nobody sends spam from Indian networks, and do
the best you can for filtering the incoming. There should be an address to
send spam to, where someone quickly looks at it, and if this is about
enlarging body parts, delete it from everyone's mailbox. And of course, the
ISP should take whatever action it can, against the spammer. Reducing spam
would be a huge saving for ISPs.

Readers are invited to add to this list...
Arun

http://www.hinduonnet.com/bline/stories/2003031102550100.htm