[Reader-list] Re: [india-gii] ISPs: that bad?

Suresh Ramasubramanian suresh at hserus.net
Tue Mar 11 18:12:11 IST 2003

At 10:07 AM 3/11/2003 +0530, you wrote:
>2. Encourage interlinking of ISPs in every town where there is more than
>one. Right now, the routing of packets from Indian senders to Indian
>receivers in absurd -- typically, via the US. There is talk of setting up
>large regional bandwidth exchanges. I have nothing against those, but much
>easier and quicker to start is the decentralized interconnection of ISPs.

this one - there's prof jhunjhunuwala spearheading this effort.

unfortunately he has a set of ideas which I and a few others think are
totally wrong / counterproductive :(

let's see if he listens to reason ... :(  I just met him yesterday, raised
a few q's about what he told me.

>4. Cut down spam. Make sure nobody sends spam from Indian networks, and do
>the best you can for filtering the incoming. There should be an address to
>send spam to, where someone quickly looks at it, and if this is about
>enlarging body parts, delete it from everyone's mailbox. And of course,
>the ISP should take whatever action it can, against the spammer. Reducing
>spam would be a huge saving for ISPs.

There are abuse at isp and postmaster at isp for receiving spam complaints about
their users

then there are spamtrap accounts which an ISP can maintain to keep track of
incoming spam

then there are IP and domain level blocks which ISPs should maintain to
block spammers.

but "deleting from people's inboxes" is not a good thing at all.

         suresh