[Reader-list] Report on Bhatti Mines

ranita ranita at sarai.net
Fri Mar 21 16:53:07 IST 2003

Report on Bhatti Mines
Ravi Agarwal and Anita Soni
February-March 03  posting to Sarai Reader-list

To see one's 'realistic' assumptions about inescapability of an officially
decreed fate being undermined by the real-life stirrings at the grassroots is
one of the delights of 'imaginative engagement with social experience'. In
non-formalized, open-ended interaction between the researcher and the social
reality under research there is place for surprises.

While drafting the proposal to document and photograph the predicament of
marginalized communities in the Bhatti Mines area of Delhi, we assumed that
their pending relocation on the Supreme Court orders could not be averted.
Their being impleaded as petitioners in an Inter-locutory Application could
at the most result in getting them decent terms of resettlement at nearby
Jaunapur, instead of being dispatched as human garbage to currently available
dumping sites in the North-Western peripheries of Delhi state. Documenting
the traumatic event of relocation as and when it comes to pass, was to figure
in our research project agenda.

Even later, reflecting on the in-depth problematics of our project already
under way (January 03 posting), we stated that the village of Od Mandi,
unique because of its archaic tribal content, was worth documenting while it
still existed, before its people were forced to set on a journey to
Destination Slum. But presently, it appears, other possibilities are taking
shape.

By the first week of February, we had almost completed putting together a
collection of photo graphs and textual data pertaining to village life at
Bhatti Mines, including the Od community celebrations like the "mela" and
traditional kirtan at the local temple of Baba Ram Deo (a sufi saint of
Rajasthan venerated by the Od tribe for centuries), and the more exclusively
tribal features such as ancestor worship and burial of the dead (whose tombs
are known as 'samadhis') at the village cemetery, recently also serving as
the cremation ground.

Our next task was to locate and document the various types of jobs engaged in
by the majority of wage-earners who hire themselves as 'unskilled' labourers.
Their work takes them miles away from their homesteads.

Many of them still find employment as old-style diggers, women alongside
menfolk, with pack mules or donkeys to carry sackloads of earth at
innumerable construction sites all over NCR (and also at illegal mineral
trade sites, sprouting right within the NCT borders with open connivance of
the police, months after the Supreme Court ban on mining in the entire
Aravalli range across Haryana and Rajasthan). A few veterinary centres set up
at Od Mandi by voluntary agencies cater to the needs of this group of
workers.

As a separate theme for detailed documentation we have earmarked the 'modern'
category of down-and-out workers in service of global capitalism :
truck-borne gangs of mostly young, male labourers deployed by contractors
onto constantly changing locations. And not just for digging and loading :
the home-grown technicians from  the Od community of Bhatti Mines are
invariably present at all places where the work of laying internet cables is
in progress. At the top, a couple of giant companies take the lead and supply
the optic fibre cables; further on, work gets subdivided among a host of
petty contractors who in turn allot particular segments to labour-deploying
contractors. At the ground level, it is all manual skill and diligence of
self-trained 'mistris' who work with simplest tools, without any engineers to
guide them. They are quite proud to do this job - often with surface traffic
going on - and would like it being photographed. At Od Mandi, their
boisterous return atop a truck after a day's work, and the rainbow hued ducts
stacked in contractors' courtyards made for good pictures.

Due to new developments, absorbing attention of the village community and
calling for our response, we had to go slow on exploration of the 'work'
thematic in February and March.

The continuing refusal of Delhi government to review its stance before the
Supreme Court with regard to 'encroachers' in Bhatti sanctuary prompted Mr
Colin Gonsalves, the counsel for 'Gram Bachao Sangharsh Samiti", to plan a
personal inspection of the officially approved re-settlement sites in Holambi
Kalan and Bawana. A few acknowledged local leaders promised to accompany him
 on an agreed date (9.2.03), but backed out at the last moment. We did a
follow-up of this issue, talking to and getting close-up portraits of the
reluctant 'community representatives'. We could not escape the conclusion
that village-level leadership was simply non-existent: the locally
'prominent' individuals had all been dependent on outside political patronage
(of either BJP or Congress bosses) and bent upon forwarding their own
mercantile interests.

In the meantime, a meeting of all concerned secretaries of Delhi Government
was convened at the Chief Ministers's office to discuss the Bhatti Mines
issue, and an invitation was extended to the 'Secretary of Gram Bachao
Sangharsh Samiti and others'. It turned out to be a hoax. As per the standard
practice, the consultation took place behind closed doors while twenty-odd
 delegates from Bhatti Mines who came forward to hear and be heard, were kept
waiting in the lounge. The insult triggered off a resentful reaction that
went beyond the usual trading of politically motivated accusations and
contr-accusations. In the eyes of villagers, factionalism itself took a
beating. It was a sobered lot who proceeded from the Player's Building to
Colin's office.

The earlier proposed inspection by the legal counsel, along with photographic
survey of the living conditions, civic amenities and livelihoods at the
prospective destinations in Holambi and Bawana was finally executed on Feb
20, with participation of a cross-section of Bhatti Mines residents. The many
horrors of that 'promised land' make a separate story.

Subsequently, ground-level mobilization started taking place among members of
the Od village community who now feel the need of a credible public platform
to represent and uphold their traditional tribal ethos and work-culture. In a
long series of meetings, the nucleus of a new organization has been formed.
It is styled in a low-key manner as 'Od Samaaj Sewa Parishad'. Service to the
community through constructive efforts is a traditional concept, closer to
the rustic hearts than the imported gimmics (rally, slogan-shouting) of
externally led agitation.

Unlike the already defunct 'Gram Bachao Sangharsh Samiti' which was a loose
alliance of prominent village businessmen and political players temporarily
sinking their rivalries, the emergent organization has a working-class
leadership, and shuns political affilliations.

Once it becomes a legal entity as a registered trust, it will take up a number
of steps towards social reconstruction and tribal self-governance, which may
- in the election year - effect a change in the official perceptions about
the denizens of Bhatti sanctuary, and get them a lease of the Ridge forest
for proper regeneration by indigenous methods.

Whatever the outcome of this awakening, it will certainly lend a new angle to
our research. It goes beyond a 'movement against eviction'. It spells
re-assertion of culture-confidence. Our project, however haphazardly
evolving, might be playing some role in it, simply because our attention is
focussed on these vital apects of the people's lives which have no meaning
for the urban elite of power : the ethnic memories, the codes of cultural
expression, the proud collective self-image linked to a continuous history of
indigenous craftsmanship.