[Reader-list] Re: reader-list digest, Vol 1 #176 - 5 msgs

Anamika Bhatnagar zipzap_2k at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 21 17:41:59 IST 2003

Dear all at Reader List

Heartening to see so much of written and vocifeous
opinions going between friends and different people
denouncing the war on Iraq.

But what many have failed to point out is the very
very squirmish way the Indian Govt has responded to
the crisis.

It took its own sweet time to come out with a clear
cut stand. It was only when the Opposition held the
govt to ransom in the Parliament tat the PM made a
statement. The inability to come out with a clear
stand on US Iraqi policy was obviously due to the fear
of upsetting the newly established "good relations"
between US and the NDA govt.

It just goes on to show how important it is not to
stay undecided but to take a relevenat stand on
critical issues of importance to humanity. It reminds
me of the Crisis Media Workshop at Sarai recently and
how relevant that workshop looks today.

As a student of Mass media right now, I can now
understand its full implications.........how very
urgent it is to shed the garb of neutrality and take a
firm position on a particular issue. I do sincerely
hope most of us will be able to do so.

Also as India readies itself for the Finals of the
WorldCup on Sunday, true that most of the Indians will
probably be tuned in to watch the cricket game but do
spare a moment and pray for all the innocents dying in
Iraq.

With best wishes
Anamika Bhatnagar