[Reader-list] Discussion

Ravi Kumar ravik_rk at hotmail.com
Fri May 9 10:49:52 IST 2003

INDIAN INSTITUTE OF MARXIST STUDIES
(DELHI CHAPTER)

E-Mail: iims_delhi at hotmail.com

A DISCUSSION ON

Fascism and Aesthetics
FACILITATOR: POTHIK GHOSH

"When fascism aestheticises politics, communism responds by politicising art."

-Walter Benjamin, 'Work of Art in the Age of Mechanical Reproduction'

The highest form of aestheticised politics, to cite Benjamin once again, is war. And don't we know that well enough! The belligerence on our borders with Pakistan--the Indian army well turned-out in its menacing regalia with its array of ordered sophisticated weaponry (artillery, tanks, et al). That is the beauty of militarised order. Something the khaki shorts of the RSS brilliantly embody--in the domain of 'civil society' and now, with the BJP-led NDA in the saddle, in the realm of state power. There is but a thin line that separates Praveen Togadia's trishul diksha, the orderly, disciplined and 'aesthetic' drill at the shakhas and the Saraswati Shishu Mandirs and the orchestrated and organised dance macabre of the Bajrangi and Sanghi death squads on the streets of Gujarat, post Godhra. It is this fascist spirit--of its obsession with aesthetic beauty, going to the extent of aestheticising its violent credo--that was so tellingly captured by Leni Riefenstahl's 'artistic' films, which relied heavily on its footage of the militarised, (and I am sure all will agree) murderous Nazi order on German streets.

The ascendancy of the Hindu Right continues unabated and its fascist credentials, particularly with regard to its politics-aesthetics kinship, is rather well emphasised by the fact that we have a poet Prime Minister who is also the liberal facade of the rightwing BJP. It's here that we, as practising Marxists, need to intervene and discover what aesthetic sensibilities are all about.

Fascism, as a form of bourgeois regime, thrives on the synchrony it achieves with the petty-bourgeois fascistic tendencies that are present in a society where various forms and stages of capitalism co-exist. Consequently, violence remains no longer merely a function of the repressive state apparatus (Althusser), but extends itself into the domain of ideology and 'civil society'. This movement is actually dialectical and the other half of this dialectic is the ideologisation of the polity that is essentially constituted by the various repressive state apparatuses. This perhaps explains how a fascist regime manufactures consent for its politics. And it's precisely at this juncture that we need to understand the bourgeois ideological moorings of art and aesthetic sensibilities so that we comprehend the process of ideological consensus-generation at work vis-à-vis our own home-grown variety of fascism.

We will try to examine and bring to light the ideological character of what is commonly perceived and accessed as art. In the process, it will also attempt to lay bare the ideological reifications inherent in the preponderant aesthetic sensibility of our times by treating it in historical-materialist terms. That said, it will then try to come up with a formulation what art and aesthetics can mean in Marxist praxis in a fascist conjuncture.

GANDHI PEACE FOUNDATION (Basement),

Deendayal Upadhyaya Marg (Near ITO), New Delhi
3.00-6.00 PM, 11TH MAY 2003 (Sunday)