[Reader-list] teen betiyon ke bad beta

saberwal saberwal at bol.net.in
Tue May 27 23:28:54 IST 2003

Sorry about your experience, Rakesh, a fallout from our pervasive patriarchy.    Yet patriarchy is having to retreat, at least in Delhi, however slowly.   In recent weeks my newspaper has carried reports of four middle-lower middle class families finding themselves in very hot water for demanding dowry.    The most assertive case was of a woman training in an electronics institute.

But there are other signs.   Most evenings I spend about 35 minutes walking in a large park adjoining Highway No. 24 in I. P. Extn.    Three or four years ago I began to notice a group of very self-confident young women in a corner of the park doing calisthenics -- pushups etc.  This women's akhara was quite extraordinary.  They continued for months and months.   Now I see that particular group only jogging, striding, around the park.   But women doing their exercises publicly is "normal" in this park and also, I notice, in other parks in the area.

Assertive women are bad news for patriarchy.    Until we find ways to knock patriarchal attitudes out of our minds, and out of all the countless occasions when these are expressed in our society, this insane longing for sons will remain with us.

Satish Saberwal