[Reader-list] on anupam kher's views on censorship

shammi nanda shamminanda at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 23 14:43:03 IST 2003

Anupam Kher is the new head of the Censor Board. I don’t know the service
provided by him to BJP, since all those who are now heading cinema related
institutions are connected visibly to the party. One thing is sure that I
haven’t heard of him talking anything profound in his public life as an
actor, but recently his interview in TOI has a few words of wisdom, which I
would like to discuss.

Whether it is our Khanna Sahib or Hema Malini. Why is it that only
institutions of Cinema can be headed by people who are neither qualified in
the traditional sense nor have they been connected to the area of filmmaking
they are heading. Hema Malini has been an actress but has never made even a
short film, forget about a full length ‘meaningful’ feature film which is
one of the jobs of NFDC.

As for Raveena, when the National awards controversy came up and Pradeep
Krishan resigned from the jury, I was thinking that just because her uncle
is connected to BJP it was unfair to accuse that the award given to her was
manipulated. But now If BJP has considered her to be qualified enough to
head CFSI one starts to question her national award too.  I had read
somewhere that it was CFSI’s policy to involve kids in the jury in the
children’s film festival but to make some  ‘kid’ who might not even have
been an avid Children’s film viewer the head of the institution is
stretching the policy a bit too far. If their was a condition that the head
of a cinema institution should have seen minimum two of the films made in
the past by that institution Hema Malini and Raveena would have failed.
Though I must say that Hema Malini was ready to learn about meaningful
cinema as soon as she took the throne of NFDC and there was a film made on
her dance drama by NFDC.

Why is it that this policy of giving riyasats to the generals who fought for
the king done so crudely in cinema related institutions. The head of UPSC
could be a BJP guy but he will have some charade of a background or the
director of NCERT will atleast be an academician. Till now they haven’t made
Sanjay Nirupam the head of NCERT saying that his qualification is that he
was a student so he can design textbooks. Even in other Art and culture
fields it is not as brazen as they haven’t dared to make someone like Bappi
Lahiri or Kumar Shanu the head of Sangeet Natak Academy. Not to say that the
all the present heads of such institutions are the most appropriate ones but
the choice there is limited unlike film in which any one goes.

According to Kher, out of 350 films Censor Board gets only 3 to 4 get in a
controversy, which according to him shows that the Censors are liberated. I
think this figure of four is not even correct as I know of more than four
films which were refused censor or had been imposed cuts.  For example FTII
had recently sent around 15 of their video documentary exercises for censor
and one of them was out rightly refused censor, in effect banned, and two
other had been unnecessarily asked to delete some dialogues. The film, which
was refused censor, was about people who have left Gujarat after the riots
and are living in Pune.  The objection that censor had was that the film
shows the police and bureaucracy in bad light. To that one can only say that
the NHRC has questioned the role of police and bureaucracy for a long time
and even the Supreme Court questioned the Raj Dharma while allowing of
transfer of some cases outside Gujarat. In a state where Muslim lawyers are
scared to go to the court, the Ex MPis killed and public prosecutor in so
many riot cases are VHP terrorists, the police and bureaucracy and even the
Judiciaries role is questionable. Besides killing of thousands of people in
the riots is impossible without the collusion of police and bureaucracy. The
other objection was that the film is biased and tells only one side of the
story (implying the Muslim angle only). I have seen the film and this
accusation also seems baseless.  I think if more Muslims were killed, then
by saying the truth one cannot be called biased. Not just that, there are
other such films on Gujarat, which have been refused by censors. I think the
action of censor is akin to not letting the Muslim lawyers reach the courts
in Gujarat. Whatever the Hindu fundamentalists are doing on the streets of
Gujarat, the Censor Board is doing the same by following their agenda
through its powers by not letting the voice of the riot-affected reach the
people through films. Most cases of Censor Board cuts are not even reported
in the press so there might not be a controversy in the media all the time
censors pick their scissors. And even if we agree that very few number of
films are getting into controversy I think it is because the filmmakers are
well aware of the Censor Boards working and hardly have the energy to
experiment or go against the norms.

On replying to a question on bad language he says “if expletives are not
allowed in an average household then why should they be heard in a film
meant for the family audience?” That means films are to always talk about
average households and I am not even sure if there is no domestic violence
or use of expletives in a an average household in a patriarchal set up.  How
can he make such a blanket statement, as every dialogue has a context and
this nonsense of protecting the family from viewing dangerous things is a
sham and assumes that the expletives can be heard and said by the men but
women are lesser beings and have to be protected. I don’t think any woman
would have problem in listening to the expletives used in Bandit Queen and
can justify them by the context.

On pornographic content   in films he says “ there are video parlors where
one can rent X rated films and watch them at home. We don’t need to provide
theaters to watch pornography. We need Money to buy condoms so people don’t
die of Aids.”   I seriously hope that he knows that even keeping of X rated
films at video shops is also illegal even though he would not have a second
thought while himself getting those films. He is fine with this arrangement,
but sadly this also stinks of class difference where people or rather men
who do not have access to VCR’s cant see pornography. Probably they are the
masses or the people from the interiors and cannot digest pornography but
someone from Pali Hill can.

While talking of the role of Censor Board he seems to be more concerned
about the people who live in the interiors or small towns. This distinction
amongst people of those from small towns and interiors with those ‘educated’
in the cities, or rather the page three crowd is also elitist. Tomorrow they
will say that Khajurao cannot be seen by people from interiors or small
towns. This melodrama of saving the common man comes handy to all
reactionary forces. Once I had read a columnist of India Today who was
defending Narmada dam and accusing Medha Patkar of coming in the way of the
poor villager getting one bulb where his kids will study. Grow up Mr. Kher!

I feel humiliated if I am not considered fit to decide what I want to see
and have Anupam Kher decide for me. If newspapers, books, Paintings and
theater are not censored, why is it that films need moral policing? Agreed
that they are concerned about ‘ dangerous stuff  which once in a while comes
out but we have the recourse to courts has been done in the case of many
books. But if you don’t believe in taking recourse to constitutional means
you have the VHP, (patit pawan sangthana)PPS, Shiv Sena, Durga Vahini,  BJP,
RSS, Bajrang Dal and so many others who don’t even take any salary and are
fast to react.

To believe that pornography does not exist in the present days of Internet
and VCD’s is like thinking that prostitution will not exist if we put checks
on soliciting and thereby being blind to the reality. For me the amount of
dangerous stuff that is coming in newspapers, particularily the ones
sponsored by right wing forces,  is more harmful than any pornographic film.
Besides I am also concerned about the moral health of all the characters who
will sit on the Board filtering the films of all kinds of corruption to save
me. Why make guinea  pigs of our RSS guys. I hope they don’t file a case
against the state one day like the American soldiers who were made to sit
near the nuclear test sites and had later got cancer.

He is more concerned about money for buying condoms to prevent AIDS shows
how uneducated he is as it is not lack of money to buy condoms leading to
Aids. I hope NSD is also safe in the hands of people like him. When Kher was
asked in an interview about how he can handle the responsibility of NSD and
Censor Board, he proposes to stretch 24

hours to 48. Yes, Mr kher, for any position of power You would stretch your
day and if two more such positions were given to you will stretch your day
to 72 hours.

Shammi