[Reader-list] The eagle has landed

Melissa Butcher melissa.butcher at riap.usyd.edu.au
Thu Oct 23 16:49:51 IST 2003

For those that missed it, I think if I've understood George correctly

We live in a world populated by evil, tyranny, danger, threats,
destruction, grief, cruelty, enemies, rape and torture rooms, hatred,
fear, murderers, WMDs, and naughty nations with all the above who we did
used to trade with but who are now defiant outlaw regimes.

Australians are fair minded, tolerant, easy going, independent and
courageous who don't mind taking responsibility for their neighbourhood,
bringing peace and prosperity to East Timor and the Solomons. We say
'fair dinkum' and have 'diggers'.

We have a very very very very very proud military tradition having
fought as brothers in arms as way back as 1918. The Americans saved us
from military invasion in WWII. And now they're very very grateful to us
for being part of COW.

The word of the day is Freedom - that's freedom for people, capital,
information and democracy (which I think someone forgot to let through
the security barricades and is probably now suspended along with Bob and
Kerry).

And as we bask in the glory of such heartening words the following
article might be of interest.

  http://www58.gu.edu.au:4500/grifrev/article_content.php?id=31

Cheers
M.