[Reader-list] 2 & Half Posting- Framework and Positions

Rutul Joshi joshirutul at yahoo.co.in
Mon Apr 12 22:22:40 IST 2004

HI,

The third one should closely follow this one, as I am quite late in posting my second write up

I am working on the subject: "Composition of Surat: A Study in urban cultural confluence and conflicts" where I am looking at evolving public culture of the city with the changes in its spatial and social composition. The attempt is also discover narrative of other sub-cultures within the city, which are marginalized over a period of time. In what form they still exists in the urban context.... and what is its relation with the 'predominant public culture' of the city. What I define as predominant public culture is the culture 'portrayed' by the politically and economically dominant group in the city. It is very much part of the identity politics within the city and the references of which exist in everyday life - more so for the 'outsiders'. Though it is wrong to believe that it is a homogenous entity.I define culture as 'way of life' and in India, it is very much community specific. Though there are various kinds of culture. Individuals make choices (political?) to be part of it or
 remain outside...and certain choices projects their overall identity. The concept of community is also changing rapidly. Caste is also a category of community, u can also have community of Urdu gazal writing poets in the city and now a day we can have virtual community (e-group may be). U make choice to associate with any one of them. It is also true that choices are not always given.
As I have started getting into the subject since the research proposal, so I will put across some of my arguments as below:

   My study is focused only on the urban development in last 30-40 years in the city of Surat. Especially looking at the emergence of peripheral industrial cum residential areas occupied by the migrating population and its relations to the core city, which is mainly commercial (tertiary sector) and residential dominated by upper middle and middle class.
   Evolution of spatial and social composition of the city – is going to be the main body of work.
   Assumption 1: Culture is used as a political instrument to dominate space and economy
   Assumption 2:  ‘The dominant culture’ is projected as ‘the culture’ of the city, which is not designed (may be subconsciously) to take in account several other sub-cultures and thus they are marginalized.
   Assumption 3: The conflicts are part of day-to-day identity politics. The subtle gestures separating the ‘self’ from the ‘others’ and its proclamations are also ‘conflicts’ of everyday life in the city.
   I will also be inserting the narratives of cultural confluence and conflicts in between the main text of the evolution of spatial and social composition of the city. (May be as box items)
   And I have no intentions of defining 'culture' per say. I am just interested in the use of cultural idioms in constructing identities and territories. Though, I have to specify -  what ‘parameters of culture’,
..which I am currently working on. Yes, I still don’t know, I am playing with football or with bottle cap.
   Approach: It is going to be a qualitative case study based research. It will also be based on secondary literature, census/other statistics and their analysis. Photo documentation, case studies and interviews are going to be integral part of it.

It would be great to receive any comments, suggestions etc on my positions and framework.

Thank You,

Rutul.