[Reader-list] Third Posting - Understanding the Patenting of Traditional Knowledge

Aarathi Chellappa achellappa at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 28 08:28:30 IST 2004

I recently returned from a two week visit to Ahmedabad
and Delhi where I got to interact with Prof. Anil
Gupta, head of Sristi and National Innovation
Foundation (NIF). This was an extremely useful
interaction for me as Prof. Gupta has been dealing
with issues relating to traditional knowledge for
about 14 years now. I also got to understand the
workings of Sristi and NIF and the moves undertaken by
them to protect traditional knowledge.

At Delhi I met with the team at the National Institute
of Science Communication and Information Resources
(NISCAIR) that is working on the Traditional Knowledge
Digital Library. This is an initiative undertaken by
the Council for Scientific and Industrial Research
(CSIR) along with certain other government entities,
to prevent repeats of the turmeric situation.

I also interacted with Ms. S. Vishalakshi and Mr.
Dinesh Abrol at the National Institute of Science
Technology and Development Studies (NISTADS) who have
worked on related areas such as biotechnology for
several years now.

In Bangalore, I plan to meet with the Centre for
Ecological Sciences and the Foundation for the
Revitalisation of Local Health Traditions, as they are
also involved in efforts to document traditional
knowledge.

I have arrived at the overall scheme of the report and
will attempt to have a draft ready by the next posting
date. The First chapter will focus on what
tradtitional knowledge is and why it should be
protected. The next will deal with the patent system,
how it evolved and when and why prior art became
relevant. Thereafter I will discuss whether all
traditional knowledge is prior art followed by whether
certain patents that overlap on traditional knowledge
were properly granted or not. Upon conclusion of this
analysis, I shall examine strategies for protection of
traditional knowledge.

I think I have collected sufficient data, but believe
that I need to write a draft report to see if there
are any gaps. So ideally, by the next posting date, I
should know what more needs to be done.

All thoughts/insights/comments/critcism welcome,
thanks,
Aarathi.