[Reader-list] fellowship posting

Taran Khan terriblus at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 28 16:10:15 IST 2004

Sarai Posting April 2004
‘Very Progressive People: Stories of Women and Movements from
post-Independence Bombay’
Taran Khan 280404

I thought of several ways of doing this posting. The most tempting option
was to simply transcribe the interviews I have been conducting with Zehra
over the past weeks. Not for reasons for convenience or methodological
scruples (preserving the unmediated nature of the source) but because that
would be make for the most interesting reading. I am avoiding this form of
narrative because in the process of transcribing Zehra’s words to English,
and in adding the footnotes necessary to understand them as isolated text,
the sparkling wit of her conversation dries up.

So instead I will try and give a brief account of what it feels like to
listen to her talk, try and communicate a sense of her conversations and my
way of listening to them. In many ways, Zehra was the country girl in the
threesome--unsophisticated, domestically inclined and without pretensions to
‘intellectual-pana’ (intellectual-ness) as she calls it. (She is fond of
this reading of herself, it is one of her favourite poses, yet constantly
contradicts and problematises it). On an ‘objective’ level however, it is
easy to appreciate her initial discomfort as well as excitement at being in
Bombay. One of several daughters in a large household, a prominent Shia
landowning family, she was brought up in a fragmented world where the men
had brushes with new ideas, some of which trickled into the women’s lives.
She has little formal schooling, and was fond of her unadorned domestic
life. However, her family’s active political affiliation and involvement (to
the Congress and later the Left) and cultural status(1)  gave her intimate
insights into different worlds. All these influences notwithstanding, it was
clear when she got married that she was expected to live in the city as the
previous generation and her contemporaries lived in the qasbas. She was to
live according to the same codes and the same rhythm, suitably adapted to
the Bombay setting. This is what interests me the most in her narratives,
the sense of attachment to a world that most of her friends either disowned
or disregarded. Her admiration for Ismat Chugtai in many ways is rooted in a
common sense of ownership-Chugtai’s work is exciting precisely because it
speaks of her roots, a place she shares in many ways with Zehra.

This is also part of the reason why Zehra’s descriptions of figures like Ali
Sardar Jafri and Maqdoom Mohiyeddin have always fascinated me-- because of
the simplicity of her vision and her descriptions.  In part his is because
she saw them up close, and knew them well. But it is also because she saw
them as herself, with links to a world similar to the one she held dear. The
thrill is not in listening to stories of famous people doing ordinary
things. It is in the view she gives of a turbulent time, and of dazzling
personalities, seen with a simplicity of vision that disregarded the
reputations and recorded only the unadorned persona, with its talent and
brilliance. She is fond of telling an anecdote where a jaded Kaifi, tired of
the machinations of the film industry, says in a letter that the sound of
her laughter brought back to him a sense of innocence and uncomplicated
purity. To me, this is interesting because she sees herself clearly as being
removed in a way from that ‘corrupt’ world. Yet it is this same corrupt
world she blithely defends to her sister-in- law who wonders that she will
let her husband stay out all hours without a word of explanation. ‘Tum nahin
jaanti Aliya, hum bohot progressive log hain, hamare yahan aisa hi kiya
jaata hai.” You don’t understand Aliya, we are very Progressive people, this
is how we do things. This priceless retort, at once defense and jibe at the
world she is defending, has come to represent for me the sum of her
balancing act through life. One that reminds me in so many ways of my own
attempts at living in several separate worlds. Both of us, grandmother and
granddaughter –have had the privilege of travelling to different worlds and
living layered lives. Both have (been) denied the luxury of denouncing or
alienating the values and habits of ‘home’. Both have tried to explain to
this idea called ‘home’ the things we do when we are not there, to explain
people and behaviour ‘our’ people know only as caricatures, characters on
TV, friends of friends who do strange things. The state of being an Indian
Muslim woman (I dare not extend this to AnyWoman AnyWhere) has not moved
along a continuum, a linear trajectory of forward motion (slow or fast,
however you care to argue it). My conversations with Zehra and with Sultana
and Shaukat put me in mind of threads on a spider’s web, meeting at odd,
arbitrary yet ordered intervals, supporting a whole we cannot see but try to
guess at. It is a fragile, almost invisible connection, that re-casts time
from its linearity of past-present-future. Like characters in Calvino’s
‘Castle of Crossed Destinies’, our stories have points that intersect, have
moments that inspire other stories from a different time, and continue to
their conclusions.

We have talked of several things by now, but like I said I would prefer them
to be heard in Zehra’s own voice. I will be travelling to Bombay next week
to talk to Sultana and Shaukat, to listen to different stories and different
versions of the same stories.

NOTES
1. One of the most active centers of cultural production, the ‘qasbas’ of
Awadh created and perpetuated their particular form of syncretic culture
through the patronage of the feudal gentry, like Zehra’s family. Most
members of the family were thus reared with an intimate understanding of
poetry, music and criticism, as texts and as lived art especially in
Moharram through marsias and other gatherings.