[Reader-list] Call for Student Stipends for Research on Inequalities, Conflicts and Intellectual Property

Jeebesh Bagchi jeebesh at sarai.net
Tue Aug 3 20:13:46 IST 2004

Contested Commons/Trespassing Publics ::
A Conference on Inequalities, Conflicts and Intellectual Property
6th - 8th January 2005 in New Delhi

Call for Student Stipends for Research on Inequalities, Conflicts and
Intellectual Property

The Sarai Programme of the Centre for Study of Developing Societies, New
Delhi and Alternative Law Forum, Bangalore invite students of all
disciplines (e.g. law, history, literature, media, anthropology,
sociology, politics, philosophy, economics) to participate in the
student workshop which precedes the conference and act as public
rapporteurs to the conference.

To apply, you must submit your CV and a 600 word note exploring any one
of the themes of the conference and displaying a keen understanding of
the contemporary conflicts surrounding intellectual property, in the
context of social inequality. We encourage students to write
inter-disciplinary essays which display a careful attention to the
thematics of the conference rather than academic essays such as
submitted at your University.

The conference brief

The past three years have seen conflicts over the regulation of
information, knowledge and cultural materials increase in intensity and
scope. This conflict has widened to include new geographical spaces,
particularly China, India, South Africa and Brazil. Moreover, a range of
new problems, including the expansion of intellectual property
protection to almost all spheres of our social life, has intensified the
nature of the conflict. Here it is important to recognize that the
nature of the conflict gets configured differently as we move from the
United States and Europe to social landscapes marked by sharp
inequalities in Asia, Latin America and Africa.

In the light of these transformations, we would like to revisit earlier
discussions on creativity, innovation, authorship, and the making of
property. Is it possible to draw comparative registers between earlier
histories of violence and dispossession that accompanied the making of
property, and the current turbulence around intellectual property on
world scale? In this conference, we would like to push comparative
discussions between earlier and contemporary moments of dispossession
and criminalisation, between the open source movement and discussions on
traditional knowledge and bio-diversity. We would also like to build a
dialogue between different moments in media history: print, film, music
and the new media, so as to prise open questions around culture,
circulation and property.

The submission process

All submissions should be emailed to  <ipstudent at sarai.net> by September
30th 2004.

We will select 20 students who will be informed by 1st November 2004.

Travel  expenses, board and lodge, as well as a modest per diem, will be
provided to the candidates for attending the workshops and the
Conference. Selected students will participate in the student workshop
prior to the Conference on 4th January 2004 and act as public
rapporteurs to the Conference. We will encourage students to be
experimental in using varied strategies to disseminate the conference
proceedings.

--------------
Conference Editors:
 >From Sarai/CSDS: Jeebesh Bagchi, Ravi Sundaram
 >From ALF: Lawrence Liang, Sudhir Krishnaswamy
--------------------------

Sarai
Center for Study of Developing Studies (CSDS)
29, Rajpur Road
Delhi 110054, India
Ph: 91 11 23960040
Fax: 91 11 23943450