[Reader-list] Re: Madarsa's of Delhi, A Study about the instiutes of Taliban.

Yousuf ysaeed7 at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 3 12:36:56 IST 2004

Dear Salahuddin
I am a bit perturbed by your repeated use of the word
“taliban” to refer to the students of the madrasas. If
you are using the word sarcastically, you don’t have
to hammer it so much, especially at a forum like
Sarai. Of course you have been a student of Arabic and
would know it better, but as far as I know, the
generally acceptable word is ‘talaba’ or ‘tolaba’ for
students. Although taliban is not incorrect, since it
is the plural of talib (seeker), but we all know the
present day connotation of this word. And I don’t
think even the Madrasa folks themselves use this word
in south Asia. (I was especially amused at one of your
typo spellings: tailbans!)

For your information, a lot of work has been, or is
being done on the Indian Madrasas. I would especially
recommend you to interact with a scholar friend Yogi
Sikand who must not have missed visiting a single
Madrasa in India, and is writing a book on it. Also,
my friends Amirullah Khan and Zafar Anjum have
compiled and presented an exhaustive report on Indian
Madrasas recently. (Zafar: zafaranjum at hotmail.com,
Yogi Sikand: ysikand at yahoo.com). Some people are even
doing documentary films on the subject.
Good luck on the project.