[Reader-list] Surveillance after "Big Brother"

diviya - diviyapant at hotmail.com
Sun Feb 22 13:34:03 IST 2004

This might be a stripped and simple version..but i think the concept of the
'Big Brother' is more or less internalised by all. There needn't be a
surveillance camera monitoring one's walk down a shopping mall or an almost
idyllically unemployed person to go through each google search one
makes...but just a grain of there being such a possibility is - to sound
corny- the biggest brother to have. And as pointed out, such possibilities
are. And, disconcertingly less disguised.

The construct of the Big Brother, and the caution\paranoia generated
therefrom, is an effective politics to ensure self discipline. Most of us
are instinctively aware of a gaze and, more often than not, adapt to its
milieu. This is certainly not impossible and futuristic. It is more
characteristic of people and the ways in which discipline manifests itself.
Any 'conspiracy theories' that are scoffed upon as paranoid, are really not
all that baseless.