[Reader-list] Surveillance after "Big Brother"

Jeebesh Bagchi jeebesh at sarai.net
Tue Feb 24 11:06:37 IST 2004

Menso Heus wrote:

>Thus, the statement that we are far away from Orwellian scenarios due to the fact that
>there is no central logging being done is one I doubt, based on the explanation given
>above. It's there, but it's more practical, more efficient and well masqueraded.
>It's a bit like saying there's no such thing as a hamburger because there's only ground
>beef, lettuce, ketchup and buns and the manufacturer of the buns has no interest in the
>manufacturer of ketchup. The interests of the manufacturers is of course completely
>irrelevant: If you stack up all the ingredients correctly, you end up with a burger
>nonetheless.

This reminds me of a film made by Harun Farocki in late sixties. A
workers working in enterprises making washing machine starts slowly
assembling the various parts together so that he can have a washing
machine at home. He landed up assembling a machine gun. !

Menso's reference to the contemporary information regimes  *distributed*
nature of information gathering and certain 'focused' ordering when
required is very critical and needs to be brought into the discussion on
surveillance. Our understanding of power is usually underpined by 19th
century understanding of a visible-centralised apparatus. What we are
faced with is a far more insidous and imbticated in everyday structure
of info-generation, classification and ordering. This much is very
clear, that if we are part of an highly efficient electronic
transactional space we are very vulnerable to tracking. Well our
theories of social order would make us belive that efficient, formal
transcational lives are suppose to be living under higher state of
freedom...! (Menso thanks for the tracking route graph..)

best
jeebesh