[Reader-list] Are you going to take the space home?

Zainab Bawa coolzanny at hotmail.com
Sun Feb 29 21:15:19 IST 2004

21/02/2004
>From Kandivali to Santacruz
Time: 4:00 PM

“Are you going to take this space home?”
---
Observations on Space and Human Behaviour

At Kandivali station, Radhika, Santoshi and myself got into the train. There
was a disorganized rush all of which was trying to get into the train.
Radhika and Santoshi got into the train from one door. I normally like to
get in with ease and so I got into the train from another door where the
crowds had eased out. Radhika and Santoshi found seats for themselves close
to the door where they got in. I was about to get into one of the empty
seats near the door where I got in from when Radhika and Santoshi shouted,
“Eh, come here,” calling me to join them. When I reached up to them, they
realized that they should have let me sit where I was trying to earlier
because now, their seat of three was packed with three people.

Radhika is fat. She was occupying the corner, window seat (most coveted
seating position). Santoshi is slim and she was seated in between. On the
outside, a third lady was seated. When I reached the seat, both Radhika and
Santoshi felt obliged to give me space to sit. Santoshi began moving inwards
towards Radhika, trying to make a little space for me to sit in. Ideally, I
should have asked the lady on the outside to give me space to sit, but here
I was, together with Santoshi, acting like an encroacher. I felt a bit to
embarrassed about this encroachment which I was making. The lady on the
outside felt a bit uncomfortable, but she decently allowed me to sit in and
then she moved to another empty seat. Had there been someone else in her
place, she would have created a hue and cry about what Santoshi and I were
doing and it would have flared up into a complete conflagration.

A crowd got into the train at Goregaon. A woman came and sat next to me. She
asked me to shift in so that there would be enough place for her to sit.
Radhika reluctantly moved in, but the lady on the outside was still
uncomfortable. She aggressively asked all of us to move in for a second
time. Radhika was totally irritated by now and she said, “Where will I move
in further? There is a rod out here!” Santoshi checked for the rod, almost
trying to ascertain whether Radhika was telling the truth because Radhika
can be quite impish and vindictive when provoked and confronted. The lady
now told Radhika with all her might, “Just shift in and you (she said
pointing to Santoshi), you just move in a bit like this,” and I shifted
positions too. Thus, towards the end, the lady had successfully made a
comfortable seating arrangement for herself. She said to Radhika, “See now,
there is enough space. I just asked you to shift in. You are not going to
take this space home, are you? All of us are here for short journeys and we
all need place to sit.”

I thought this was a very crucial remark, “You are not going to take this
space home!” Yes, none of us are going to take the space home, and yet, the
way we fight in trains is as if we are fighting for ‘very, very precious
space which belongs exclusively to us!’ Behaviour in trains is no
simulation. It is real life. Even in trains, we fight for space just like we
fight for space everywhere, in all aspects of life, in one form or another.

Seats got empty at Andheri and this lady on the outside immediately jumped
to the opposite seat which was highly comfortable and quite spaced out. I
shifted out and made space for three of us to sit more comfortably. Another
lady came and sat next to me. Again I shifted in. She left in a short while
and I shifted out again. Santoshi was watching me. She giggled and said,
“Poor you! You have to keep adjusting!!!” It was actually quite a funny
exercise where I was constantly shifting, sometimes to a shrinking space,
sometimes to an expanding space!

This morning I had been to the slums in Ramgarh. Ramgarh is located on
forestland. The government does not want the slum dwellers to reside here
and hence, periodically, the government demolishes their hutments, forcing
them to evict. The government demolishes their houses; they go on another
place on the same land and build their houses again. Ramgarh is located on a
hill slope area. Earlier, people were living on top. Now, they have been
forced to move down. Currently, some people have paid money to the
government officials and they have been allowed to live on the land for
another year or so. But there will be demolitions in between. I asked them
what if the government throws them out completely from this area. They
aggressively told me, “How can the government do this to us? We will not
move. We will stick to our place and we will make sure that the government
does not think it will be easy to move us out! After all, we have been
living on this land since the last 15 years, who dare throw us out from
here?”

These people in Ramgarh also shift spaces like I did in the train today.
Radhika wanted to keep her space in tact today even though she has been
sitting there for less than 15 minutes!

Each one of us in trains is possessive about our space/our seat, especially
when it is a crowded train where there are more people scrambling for
limited space. In a crowd, our true natures are revealed. We can give a very
tough fight for space because each one of us wants space to be comfortable.
Otherwise, we become irritable and violent creatures.
Simmin and me fight at home for space. We fight for space to keep our
individual books. We fight for space to maintain our privacy. Mom wants
mental space when she fights with dad. She wants us to respect ‘her’ space.
I know that there is very little space at home. Yet, we have to give mom
“her space”. So, what does “space” mean?

In January, I was traveling from Byculla to VT at 6:00 PM in the evening. It
was empty train. The train got on to VT and I moved close to the door to get
off. Before I could get off, a huge deluge of women madly rushed into the
train even before it had properly stopped at the platform and was still in
motion. The women almost trampled me and in order to save myself, I stood
flattened by the door! It was MOB! It was a mad mob which was totally blind
except to its sole objective: “Get the bloody seats to sit!” The women were
returning to their homes and they knew that if they did not go in for a
scramble for the seats, they would be left behind and would have to probably
stand throughout their long journeys. That two-minute incident was almost
like observing an actual riot. In a riot too, I imagine that people scramble
in order to get the spoils, and get as much as the spoils as possible within
the little time that they have. These women were also looking for their
prized spoils i.e. the coveted window seats to sit before the train got
crowded in minutes time.
For a moment, I was totally dazed about what had happened. I felt like a mad
flock to wild geese had suddenly been let loose and they were on a kill! But
then, I shook myself and said, ‘Well, this is only a bunch of women, getting
back from office to home and they are looking for a space to settle in now
and unsettle in later.’ But the question which lingered in my mind was
whether human beings can be so violent for space? Or is it about bottled
stresses and emotions which get their spark in the evening, when it’s time
to journey back to homes. What kind of space is provided in trains which
helps this mob of women to settle in and then unwind either by themselves or
with their Sahelis and Maitreens?

On February 15, when I was traveling back from Kurla to Parel, a Muslim
woman and myself were trying to locate seats for ourselves in a crowded
ladies compartment. Time and again, both of us would miss having seats
before someone else would cleverly capture them. At one time, this Muslim
woman was about to park herself into a seat when someone asked her to push
out because she had already made an arrangement with the woman vacating the
seat that the latter would give the seat to the former. The Muslim woman had
a tired look on her face and she was trying to stand patiently, waiting for
a seat to empty where she could sit. This brief incident made me think about
the issue of ‘minorities and space – scramble for resources’. During
communal violence and clashes, majorities are fighting against minorities
claiming that too much space has been given minorities and that they must
learn how to accommodate.
Images of Gujarat, Israel-Palestine, slum dwellers and various other
groupings in society which are clashing for space come to my mind when I see
little clashes in the train for space – for those very crucial seats. Wow!
Is this what spaces do to us?

-	Zainab Bawa
-	For communication, email zainabbawa at yahoo.com