[Reader-list] Second Research Fellowship Posting

Zainab Bawa coolzanny at hotmail.com
Sun Feb 29 21:20:53 IST 2004

In the second month of the research fellowship. I have met with several
architects because one of the realizations which has come from the
observations is that the way in which some compartments have been designed
in order to maintain privacy itself makes the compartment space dangerous
and unsafe for women. I have had a few experiences with small space
compartments in the trains which, though we want them in order to maintain
privacy and have freedom of space, they become unsafe when only a few
persons are travelling in them. At such times, these empty spaces become
havens for attracting theieves and muggers and there have been several
incidents with women being looted, raped and threatened in empty
compartments at odd hours in the day.
A couple of presentations are also lined up in the coming months where two
institutions have invited me to make a presentation on the project and the
findings thus far.
An architect has also suggested to me to take two interns with myself and
make drawings of the train compartments in order to elaborate out the way in
which women and children use spaces during crowds and in easy hours. I will
be implementing on this suggestion soon.
The study has become quite exciting with different people suggesting ways
and means to improve on the methodology. There has been encouragement about
the way in which some of the writings have emerged. I hope to set up the
blog by this week and then, regularly contribute to it.
I look forward to contributions and suggestions from all of you.
Will make subsequent postings in this week about different aspects which
have become very apparent now that I am taking an observer position, though
I must confess that I find it very hard to be an observer alone - in most
instances, I am as much a participant as everyone else!

Warm wishes,
Zainab Bawa