[Reader-list] WSF - another report is possible!

ravikant ravikant at sarai.net
Thu Jan 29 18:01:42 IST 2004

The media - both the print and the audio-visual - has either outrightly
trashed the WSF 04 or has raised very fundamental ethical and political
questions about what in their version looks like a pointless jumboree of
anti-globalisation groups from God knows where. Even those who were willing
to write positive things about WSF focused either on the sensational or the
iconic. The skeptics of course wondered aloud whether we managed to make
another world in the week's time!

Thankfully, I was there. So I have another view of what was going on at WSF.

Yes, I was there but I don't think any one person or even a few people can
give you a full sense of what was happening when a whole sea of humanity
tried to make itself heard. I will try and present a few word-sketches and
some fragments. At the outset, I feel like congratulating the organisers who
efficiently managed a very impressive show wothout crying hoarse from the
microphones. ot without guiding traffic. After the morning of the second
day's chaos about the non-availabilty of printed programs, it was all smooth
and clean. The toilets, the foodstalls, the panels were all set and running
after a few initial hiccups -  when people were still trying to figure out
what was happening at what place and could not make to the stipulated venues
at the right time. I think the organisers relied too much and and too soon on
the geographical intelligence of the visitors. In retrospect, this made for a
very unobtrusive 'wrok environment'. To give you one small example, everytime
the tubelight or the fan( it was really stuffy!) went off when somebody shook
the stall wall, we would find a mechanic within five mnutes! The loos were
kept sparkling clean, the food was cheap, non-spicey and diverse. One
alternative shop was selling 'kokam-NOT-COKE' for five rupees.

 Starting with the first, when the Pakistani sufi band Junoon had everyone of
the 50, 000-strong crowd in thrall, every evening was marked by screenings of
films or plays or song-and dance performances. In fact, some of the more
famous shows( a Brazilian band and one African group) spilled over into the
city whose night life is amazing by Delhi's austere and conservative
standards. It is also equally remarkable that the city absorbed the huge
crowd without straining its public and private resources. A much smaller
rally in Delhi would have resulted in endless traffic jams and general public
outcry of gruesome violation by unwanted non-city elements. I don't think we
heard even a murmur of protest. In fact, if the conversations one had with
the autowallas are any index, the city appeared quite obliviuos of such a
major event. The autowallas of course sensed quick business opportunity and
flocked in large numbers to the Nesco ground in Goregaon, which was very
convenient. The entry to the venue was also easy - there were at least 60
counters for registration. Anybody could buy a 5-rupee coupon and get in. So
one could not see any unmanageble Qs getting formed, which is what one is
used to at Delhi's Pragati Maidan book fair or trade fair.

What was it like being inside? Frankly, it was quite overwhelming and it was
impossible not to loose focus. What do you when you have to watch an endless
stream of protest marches through the main throughfares? Protest marches from
various parts of the world - forming into small bands, singing, dancing or
blowing strange bugles, or beating a variety of drums, marches with half a km
long banners, or with 20-feet high stilt-walkers, marches distributing
multicoloured pamphlets. The entire ground and the poles and trees was
festooned with posters of innumerable intent, design, content, size and
colour. Some were pre-made and some were cooked on and for the occasion. In
fact you could scarcely find space for your own poster if you had missed the
first day. And civilised people do not tear off somebody else's poster to
make room for their own. But the way out was distributing handouts - about
your movement, about the issues that bother you, any information about your
panel, event or stall that you wish to share with you don't want to know whom
but you know that that somebody will be interested.

As you could expect, it was a multilingual space - people wanting to get heard
had translated their stuff into English, and people who could not understand
English had made their own arrangements, like this very efficient Korean
group which was seen herding together adjacent to a venue, listening to
simultaneous translation and radio transmission, as eagerly and seriously as
some of us did in those cricket's radio commentary days. People were there
to express solidarity, to collect and give information, to buy and sell
books, to talk and to listen, of course.  But they were also there to just be
there and to feel a certain thereness. So, beyond a point language was a
non-issue. One could hear peer-to-peer announcements, but also one-to-all
announcements - in various languages. And that to me was the strength and
beauty of such a gathering. The WSF was multitudinous and contradictory. Only
hegemonistic designs insist on slavish agreements. Here people amply
demonstrated that it was possible to disagree and yet inhabit the same civic
and political space. Like the filmmaker who was collecting signatures against
the organisers who did/could not a screening of his film on Gujarat. I saw
that he found whole lot of willing signatories.

On the basis of all this one can say that while mainstream Indian, national
media misreported the event, the Mumbai Resistance group miscalculated its
scope. It could very well have protested against WSF from within and could
have hoped to have got heard more!

That's it readers for now. Thanks for your patience. I hope to write more in
coming days. Comments, reflections and  add-ons are most welcome.

cheers
ravikant