[Reader-list] IHT in India

sanjay ghosh definetime at rediffmail.com
Sat Jul 10 13:20:25 IST 2004

An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
-------------- next part --------------

Dear Shivam,

We obviously differ in our views.

Let's consider the facts again. Murdoch's rationale for supporting the Iraq war is not Saddam's abusive dictatorship, it's $20 barrel of oil. When media magnates campaign for daylight robbery, it is alarming.

Besides, Saddam's worst atrocities - using chemical weapons on Kurds and Iranians, were undertaken with funding and technology from the west. In fact if you study the entire western government/media campaign drumming up support prior to the war, Saddam's cruelty was highlighted only when the WMD angle was slighted by Hans Blix. This was the last resort, to justify an already premeditated move.*

Had abusive dictatorships been the real problem, the US wouldn't have propped up General Pinochet after overthrowing the elected Chilean government; killing President Allende and unleashing a genocide. 20th century history is littered with White House supported dictators - Baby Doc, Trujillo, Hernandez Martinez, Suharto, Rios Mont, Reza Pahlevi, Noriega, Karimov ... even Saddam was the apple of their eyes while he was at war with Iran. Half a dozen brutal 'sheikhdoms' in the middle-east are aided and abetted by the US.

Don't the Abu Ghraib pictures prove that Saddam's abuses had nothing to do with this invasion ? And mind you, those pictures didn't see the light of the day without a fight. There are thousands of more pictures which were viewed by US senators behind closed doors but deemed unfit for 'public consumption'**. So much for the 'free market of words, ideas and pictures' in the west.

The net differs a lot from the print media . Apart from journalists and media observers, people tend to read just one newspaper regularly. When you're fed a bunch of lies on a regular basis, the results are as Dr Joseph Goebbels prescribed in the 1930s.

Wide internet penetration is still a projection. The net also has a certain fluidity which lends itself to appreciation of diversity. The google news page for instance would often put NYT's interpretation next to Xinhua's. I find it difficult to compare this with a regular newspaper's impact. Only a small fraction of the newspaper reading public goes to the news-stand to 'chose' a paper.

Had the indian media been dominated by 'all the leftists' - the 'india shining' nonsense wouldn't have been forced down our throats. Vajpayee's party did win 138 seats, just 7 less than the Congress tally. Sadly (for you) the left performed better than expected. In my view indian newspapers opposed the Iraq war not because of 'all the leftists' but because unlike first world countries - we identify ourselves as possible future victims of such unilateral aggression.

Iraq war was bad because it had no UN approval and therefore illegal. There was no unique provocation for launching an attack on a sovereign country. As far as your personal views on this matter are concerned - ten years is a long time, right now more than 11 thousand Iraqis are already dead.

You have quite correctly pointed out that popularity is no guarantee for quality (as with Times of India). And I'm not questioning the popularity of publications. I'm questioning the concentration of ownership and it's 'dictatorial' shadow on the media culture. I hate censorship and that's the very reason I favour blocking foreign media in India. It (foreign media) comes with a baggage of lopsided ownership pattern, with serious implications on whatever little independence of opinion there is in our media.

Blocking newspapers can't be equated with censorship because Indian newspapers already carry sizable chunks of foreign news and editorial material. If you check sources of international news (whether here or abroad) they lead you back to the same pool of a dozen odd news agencies. One is not advocating blocking news per say but the propaganda potential of a big bad corporate owned newspaper. I'm not saying indian newspapers are great; I acknowledge the courage and insight of the indian public in fending itself from the media. My point is - why give the public two snakes to fend itself from, isn't one enough.

Leaving aside a handful of publications, western media's influence on their 'liberal democracies' has been less than edifying. One watergate can't wash away every sin. For years together western media sat on it's fat ass while western governments propped up abusive dictatorships, apartheid - and aided genocides. In recent times media role in inciting racial hatred in the UK has often been highlighted. Hari Kunzru declined the John Llewellyn Rhys award on precisely this issue.

I'd love to see a 'free market' myself but I'm afraid it's just another neo-con illusion fed to us by the western media mafia. While western countries advocate opening up of third world markets, their own markets remain tight shut through a complex web of preferential tariffs. Thanks to your 'free western media' the whole issue of G8's $300 billion agriculture subsidy or the enormous tariff barriers for third world exports, rarely get any coverage.

In the world we live in, ideas and practice don't always coincide.

regards,
Sanjay

*http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2004/01/11/1073769455567.html
*http://politics.guardian.co.uk/iraq/comment/0,12956,1036687,00.html

**http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A21551-2004May12.html

PS - In case you miss 'Murdoch papers' in India, The Statesman carries sizable chunks from the Times, London. Besides you might enjoy the venomous anti-left tirade carried by The Statesman.