[Reader-list] Fwd: From Fire into the furnace, review of film'Girlfriend'

Geeta Patel geeta.patel at verizon.net
Thu Jun 17 22:08:44 IST 2004

Dear Rahul:
I think one should begin by doing a study on how straight people became
straight, turned straighter and stayed straight. There is nothing natural in
heterosexuality as a pure form. Because if one begins to analyze the
supports available for straight people, one realizes very quickly that being
straight seems to require a lot of help, regular financial and legal aid
from constitutions, governments, insurance firms -- the list goes on.  And
if heterosexuality was so easy to come by and stay in (without any of those
quick glances at beautiful men or women or trannys or hijras   or .. that
direct desire away from heterosexuality) why the obsessive need to help it,
ensure it, protect it, hold onto it. Nivedita Menon has a great piece on
this in The Indian Express in January of this year.  Janet Halley, a legal
scholar writing in the US, also finds that  judicial opinions on  queer
matters spend inordinate time on remarking on the instability of
heterosexuality, and on its reproduction. (this is a simplified version of
Halley's work, but sufficient for this task)
In India, the British gave conventional forms of heterosexuality a big push
and lots of legal help beginning in the early 19th century, which I and many
other researchers have come upon when looking at the questions of passing
property onto other people.  Of course those issues, of inheritance lineage,
are often looked at as something other than a mandate and push towards
seemingly quotidian forms of heterosexuality.

So, I think that encountering a film like "Girlfriend"  should not only make
audiences ask questions about lesbians, but also about their others, the
supposedly straight people that ostensibly live their sexual lives without
question. Hence one could easily ask the question: How many straight people
derive the forms of  their sexual desires through, from and with sexual
abuse, including abuse that violated their childhoods?  That might form the
nucleus of a truely valuable study.

And as for Pinky Virani's book--one would know that abuse is about the
violent and subtle enactments of power, not about the sexual inclinations of
a person, if one had actually worked with people dealing with sexual or
physical abuse.  And conversion is not the important issue when addressing
or taking on abuse--  the construction of the abused person by an abuser is
rarely so simple, i.e. as potential convert. Abusers come in all forms,
ages, shapes and sizes, as do the abused, as does the specifics of the
violence.  I tried reading Pinky Virani's book when I was helping design
programs to address abuse and was so irritated by it I was unable to finish
it.

Geeta Patel