[Reader-list] flooding my mailbox

Shuddha shuddha at sarai.net
Fri Jun 18 21:17:50 IST 2004

Dear Shivam, (and others)

The Reader List is an un-moderated list. It does have an administrator,
but she does not act as a censor. As she is away at the moment and not
able to check mail regularly, I am taking the liberty of responding to
Shivam, just as one list member to anothe, on the questions that he has
raised.

As we have no 'moderator'  no one is technically in a position to tell
anyone else to discuss something, or anything,  privately. People can
discuss something privately if they so desire, but, if it is a
discussion that has been sparked off by postings on the list, and is not
of a 'personal' nature, I do not see any justification in demanding that
such discussions to be sequestered from the general discussion on the list.

 However, I do think that Shivam's point about having his private mails
to another list member being forwarded on to the list is something that
merits consideration. I would say that forwarding mail that you have
recieved 'privately' to the general list, without the consent of the
concerned correspondent is poor nettiquette. Having said that, I do
think that it would be unfortunate if the most interesting discussions
on this list happened on 'private' channels. I do think that a culture
of vigourous discussion on this list needs a revival. We, at Sarai, are
exploring the possibility of inviting individuals to 'shape' the
discussion on the list so that threads get nurtured, arguments taken
further, and new ideas and energies are made available to the list from
time to time. I can assure you and all other list members that this will
not mean r 'moderation' rather it will represent an attempt at evolving
a model of 'custodianship' or 'curation' of the discussions on the list.
It will definitely not be an attempt to censor and block postings by
members.

I have followed with interest the debate that has been sparked off by
the posting about 'Girlfriend'. I can see several strands of discussion
emerging, one is about the film itself and what it has come to
represent, as an object of anxiety both for the self appointed guardians
of morality, and for some vocal representatives of the Gay and Lesbian
rights movement in India, the other is of exploring what recognizing or
acknowledging homosexuality is, the third is of understanding what Child
Sexual Abuse is all about. Interestingly, I think that the material of
the film 'Girlfriend' actually enables a discussion on each of these
issues. In other words, - do lesbians really exist, if they do, should
they be visible and should they make themselves visible, and finally
does homosexuality have anything to do with a loss of agency in
childhood due to abuse. I am not venturing an opinion at the moment on
any of these issues, merely flagging the fact that the three seemingly
divergent threads of conversation between Shivam, Nitin, Rahul, Shveta,
Sappho (the forwards sent by them) actually all have traces of these
three elements.

 I would like to make a case for seeing the film as a normal, perhaps
b-grade, Hindi film, which happens to have a lesbian as a character of
some importance. I will make a longer posting on the issue, (once I have
thought through some of the issues at some length, and am less
encumbered)but I do think that the fact that a simple, not very well
made, borderline b grade Hindi film has generated this much discussion
(and I would argue, not simply because it happens to have a lesbian
character or theme) is not insignificant. At least it is not the stupor
that normally overcomes me as i come out of the cinema. Perhaps there
are a few things that we can thank 'Girlfriend' for, like making the
culture of discussion on this list fine new voices, registers and things
to say.

So, lets keep talking

cheers

Shuddha