[Reader-list] reducing lesbianism to child sexual abuse is pathologizing sexuality

nisha - mirzachhotoo at yahoo.co.in
Wed Jun 16 22:21:41 IST 2004

To take up the issue of Girlfriend's character becoming a lesbian
because of child sexual abuse, the linkage is too simplistic and heterosexual way. If we accept this Freudian analysis, it would mean acceptance of heterosexuality as the norm and other sexualities as outcomes of sexual exploitation and tragic events. And that reduces an argument for the existence of sexualities to 'effects' and 'consequences' which could be 'fixed' or 'cured'. To cut the argument short, reducing lesbianism to child sexual abuse is pathologizing homosexuality and denying existence of lesbian/gay/bi-sexuality as 'normal'.

Child sexual abuse could also do well without without stereotyping of consequences. If a survivor of CSA is actually a lesbian/gay/bi, this sort of stereotying will complicate matters for that person by reinforcing internalized homophobia and shame. It would also mean that the considerations of identity acceptance coming out by that person will be governed by the fear of being pathologized or seen as 'poor victim' who has to live such a dreadful consequence.

CSA and sexualities are two important issues, each requiring urgent social action of different kinds. The connection between CSA and lesbianism is only as much as it is between CSA and heterosexuality. CSA is not heterosexual sexual abuse. It is a form of sexual abuse which is possible and takes place in same sex relationships as well.

Nisha

shivam <zest_india at yahoo.co.in> wrote:

I agreewith much of what Ms Tejal Shah writes in the
Mid Day review, but I don't understand why she has a
problem with Girlfriend's character becoming a lesbian
because of child sexual abuse. Isn't that possible?

I have found that while homosexuality is a very
important issue in intellectual circles, I wonder why
this disdain and indifference towards child sexual
abuse. There's a book called "Bitter Chocolate: Child
Sexual Abuse in India" by Pinki Virani in which she
writes that homosexuals sometimes abuse children with
the purpose of making them homosexuals.

Regards,
Shivam

--- Sappho for Equality