[Reader-list] Water Supply in Bhalsawa

jayna kothari jaynakothari at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 29 12:13:49 IST 2004

Dear Lalit and Bharati,

Your posting on water supply and other basic necessities in bhalsawa was
very interesting. In 2001 when i was working in delhi with Lawyers
Collective, the people living in the nizammudin basti were sought to be
evicted and resettled in bhalsawa. at that time we filed a public interest
litigation against this eviction in the delhi high court.  The eviction was
stalled for several months and during the court hearings, the issue of water
supply and availability of basic necessities in bhalsawa came up.  The MCD
and DDA counsels most confidently stated that all facilities were provided
for the resettlers! there was no electricity, water and sanitation
facilities and no schools for the children.  I remember the hearing when the
MCD counsel was asked by the court about how the students would continue
their studies, the MCD actually submitted an affidavit and stated that tents
would be set up and classes would be held in the mornign and evening for two
batches of students (imagine evening classes without any electricity!)

the high court then set up a two member commisison to make visits to
bhalsawa and submit a report to the court ...however the resettlement took
place a few months later. there were a lot of studies done on the situation
in bhalsawa by several organisations, that we had used for our PIL to make
out the case that the right to housing includes the right to basic
facilities such as water, electricity, schools and means of livelihood, and
when all these were not provided, the people could not be resettled in
bhalsawa.

best
Jayna