[Reader-list] ragging

Asthana, Rahul Rahul.Asthana at CIBC.com
Tue Jun 29 21:16:39 IST 2004

Michiel-
(and I wonder if, in the end, it just didn't have the effect that now the
ragging/drinking doesn't take place in the open anymore)
I know that this sort of thing happens.Students are ragged by
outsiders(local friends of seniors) or outside of the college campus, or in
their hostel rooms at night to bypass observation\rules.
The reason for that is-

a)Most of the students, and college authorities too,dont really believe that
ragging is a bad thing.They do hear about the barbaric incidents, but they
feel that they are not as bad as those people,and the situation in their
college is not as bad as the place where such incidents happened.I will tell
you what a faculty member told my class regarding ragging when the fresher
batch came in-
"Listen guys, about this ragging, please take care that it is not
inadequate,I dont care if it is excessive."
They do not realize that the situation goes out of hand in what starts as
seemingly harmless ragging.When they do realize it, something terrible has
happened and it is already too late.So,unless and until,the belief that
ragging is bad is instilled, raggers will find ways to break the rules and
authority will continue to be apathetic to the complaints.The only way I see
this happening is through the media and through researchers.
I dont know if there is some sort of institution in India that does this
kind of research.I saw a movie called "Holi" a long time back and in it was
the closest-to-reality portrayal of ragging that I have seen on screen.More
and more such stories should come out, and the steps that Shivam has taken
in this regard are indeed laudable.
b)Secondly, some of the students are really sadistic;deriving pleasure by
inflicting pain on people and abusing thereby their position of authority
that probably they haven't had anytime else in their lives.Here, the
authorities may be the only hope,and that too if the authorities are already
sensitized to the dangers of ragging.Moreover,as I wrote in my earlier post,
such raggers are probably more messed up than anybody else they will rag,
and they need counselling to help them resolve their issues.

regards
Rahul