[Reader-list] ragging

shivam zest_india at yahoo.co.in
Wed Jun 30 18:52:18 IST 2004

Dear Rahul,

While I agree with all that you say, there is another
problem with teachers and deans and wardens and
principals whose job it is to eliminate ragging. Many
of them have themselves been raggers in their college
days, they've had some good fun by making freshers
into slaves and sodomising them. I have made lecturers
whose private personal views are: "Thdi bahut ragging
to hoti hi hai", "Ragging to hamari bhi hui thi",
(Some ragging does take place, I was also ragged),
"Ragging is a rite of passage to manhood". When I
wanted an explanation of this last sentence, I was
told: "Ragging nahi hogi to aap mard kaisay banengay?"
Unless you're ragged how will you become a man? This
shook me like an earthquake and I decided thereafter
that I have to do something about this.

If Taran was surprised that I compared ragging to Abu
Ghraib, then it's partly because people associate
ragging with the singing and dancing that day scholars
do in and get frontpage photos in our mainstream
dailies, who are happy to project ragging as
light-hearted fun. If someone were to do a sting
operation and publish photographs of five freshers
being paraded nude in a hostel corridor, views may
change. And this is one thing we are trying to
facilitate: sting operations.

But coming back to Abu Ghraib, I now realise that all
leftists who are outraged about Abu Ghraib are
outraged not because it involves human rights abuse,
but because the Americans did it. Good ammunition for
their anti-Americanism. Because if they were really
concerned about human rights abuse, they would first
be sensitive towards it in the very colleges and
universities where they teach and work.

Thanks,
Shivam

<https://mail.sarai.net/pipermail/reader-list/>