[Reader-list] FW: [boell] [lab] copy adorno, go to jail?

Monica Narula monica at sarai.net
Mon Mar 1 21:59:00 IST 2004

dear Andreas and others,

I agree with you that there is a necessity to develop rigorous
arguments to expand the culture of copy. This is what I was stressing
in my mail. I am yet to see a intellectual framework to understand
the culture of copy. By evoking Foucault i was not being optimistic
but pessimistic!

There are many ways to enter the debate on IP. One mode is opened by
the free software route. This creates a practice of making and
sharing things and seems to have found a legal framework for itself
(it will be tested in coming years). The other mode will be to look
at histories of dispossession over the last 400 years and see how the
discourse of property had dispossessed millions. One needs to
seriously re-read works by social historians for this (i would think
that works of EP Thomson, Peter Linebaugh etc) would be important. If
we take the example of Forest Laws, we see clearly a process of
dispossession (more than the present tame word `displacement`, which
makes it a technical issue). In his book 'Common Property, Common
Poverty', Chatrapati Singh had brilliantly argued how Forest Laws
dispossessed and criminalised thousands of people. The law comes and
then destroys other ways of understanding and practicing. I would
think that Intellectual Property discourse would need such an
interrogation. Let the idea of property itself face its other
reality: that of histories of mass dispossession and dislocation.

Within the legal framework, IP stands as a right that is bargained of
by the public for a public good, that is adequate compensation for
creativity and also so called advancement of science and arts. I
would think that over the next few years this tension will appear
within the legal framework of IP enforcement. Strict IP enforcement
will make factions of global capital uncompetitive as much as it
makes others competitive. This tension will emerge. And the commodity
logic of fecund-reproduction will clash with property. Property may
not stand as the only form to anchor stable returns.

Regarding this specific case, i would say that it will be interesting
to see what kinds of rights were bargained off by Adorno or Benjamin.
Did they bargain away `electronic rights`: those rights to rapid
circulation and reproduction? IP holders of today have to be asked as
to what they are holding and for how long and in what condition. This
is critical for it will shape how we are to understand the
relationship between technological practices, social arrangements,
and legal framework.

best

--
Monica Narula [Raqs Media Collective]