[Reader-list] crisis unfolding(ed)

Curt Gambetta cugambetta at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 2 00:01:15 IST 2004

Well, if anyone saw the film "The Revolution will not
be Televised" about the coup of Hugo Chavez in
Venezuela, then here we go again...

For anyone interested in reading about what has been
happening in Haiti, the radio/internet show Democracy
Now has come out strong on the issue, more than any
other media source in the United States.

www.democracynow.org

And for the story as it is unfolding... here are some
links below that might give a sense of who is feeding
the information to whom. I would look to Democracy Now
in the coming days, because some of their recent
reports have discussed the abysmal reporting done on
Haiti leading up to the coup... so it will be
interesting to see how reliant CNN et al is on the US
Gov as a source. I'm a little suspicious of the
reports coming in... CNN says 'hundreds of cheering
supporters' greeted rebels while the NY Times
describes '...thousands of cheering Haitians, swept
into the center of the city [following the rebels].'
Fox News reports that this throng was shouting
"liberty" and "Aristide is Gone." They also mention
indifference (no one bothered to talk to people, it
seems). I think after Venezuela we should be very very
weary of the crowd, of the mass of people on the
streets as evidence of anything authentic. What
media-consumers look to as a free expression of
'people power' is perhaps, when beamed up, re-cut and
de-contextualized, one of the most easily-manipulated
displays of human agency possible.

And Bush, in a rather crass statement, called on
Haiti's people to 'reject violence.' What a joke.

-Curt

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/03/01/international/americas/02CND-HAITI.html?hp

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/03/01/international/americas/01ARIS.html

http://www.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/americas/03/01/haiti.revolt/index.html