[Reader-list] New reviews/articles on Furtherfield - March 2004.

marc marc.garrett at furtherfield.org
Tue Mar 23 17:12:03 IST 2004

*_6 New reviews/articles on Furtherfield - March 2004._*

Furtherfield's first net art retrospective:-
An Andy Deck Retrospective: review by Marc Garrett.

A warm welcome to two new reviewers:-
Joe Keenan's 'Moment' - Joe Keenan: review by Jim Andrews.
NIESATT - Jtwine: review by Darshana Vora.

Three more insightful new reviews/articles:-
Google Hacks 'Google and Saussure' - Douwe Osinga: review by Lewis LaCook.
California Dreaming, Silicon Valley of Dreams: FurtherCritic article by
Ryan Griffis.
no/copy/right - no-org.net.org: review/article by Garrett Lynch (Net Art
Review).

You can get to all new reviews/articles and work on the front of the site...
http://www.furtherfield.org - or view links seperately via the six
introductory paragraphs below.

*_Andy Deck Retrospective._*
Creating art software since 1990 and then moving onto the Internet in
1994 Andy Deck has worked with the  Web using two main sites,
artcontext.net and  andyland.net  as platforms to display his digital
based  explorations. In the net art activist world there have been many
inspiring talents who have shone through the  flickering, radiated haze
of our computer monitors. Andy Deck is one of those individuals who,
has  somehow succeeded in maintaining a consistent integrity in his
work. Review by Marc Garrett.
http://www.furtherfield.org/displayreview.php?From=Index&review_id=86

*_Google Hacks 'Google and Saussure' - Douwe Osinga._*
The content of the piece--the work's drama--is in how the user relates
to the text-and-image sequence,  which in turn has been generated by
her. It's a work that examines the interface betrween the user, the
individual, and the web itself, the database, the collective, by using
that sign system which is at all times  both achingly familiar and
forbodingly alien: language. Review by Lewis LaCook.
http://www.furtherfield.org/displayreview.php?From=Index&review_id=83

*_California Dreaming, Silicon Valley of Dreams._*
"Assembly line hysteria." Most of us can only conjure up situations of
boredom, fatigue and repetitive  motion similar to typing all day in a
cubicle, maybe. If we're well read in feminist literature, we'd be aware
of  the historically gendered etymology of the second part of the term.
But the phrase has a specific meaning  for factory workers, especially
those working in the high tech manufacturing sector. FurtherCritic
article by  Ryan Griffis.
http://www.furtherfield.org/displayreview.php?From=Index&review_id=88

*_no/copy/right - no-org.net.org._*
An online exhibition that has just been opened by no-org.net , a "new
Jerusalem art network envisioned as a  platform for experimental
projects in the area of netbased and digital art and for the exchange of
independent  information on contemporary art." Subsequent to a call for
works on the theme of anti / counter copyright  which went out through
most mailing lists at the start of this year for a new net.art 'space'
completely  unknown to the community, I have been regularily checking
the site to see how well the exhibition fared.  Review/article by
Garrett Lynch (Net Art Review).
http://www.furtherfield.org/displayreview.php?From=Index&review_id=82

*_Joe Keenan's 'Moment' - Joe Keenan._*
I revisit Joe's "Moment" for various reasons, the primary one being I
still have not seen/read it all; each time I  visit it does/says
something I haven't seen. Also, what "Moment" does with text visually is
sometimes a  wonder to behold, yet neither is it simply 'text as image';
the text is usually interesting; Joe Keenan is a  significant poet as
well as programmer. Review by Jim Andrews.
http://www.furtherfield.org/displayreview.php?From=Index&review_id=85

*_NIESATT - Jtwine._*
The work has an intelligence that is not pontificating to make one feel
uncomfortable. Arresting one's  imagination with the pace of animated
graphics, the issues that belie NIESATT-PARALLEL WORLDS  present
themselves in short statements and sketches. And yet, the visual
presentation and narrative  structure, which slyly glide between
advertising, web-graphic and simulated game styles, is unique enough  to
open the viewer to questions rather than being a dumb receptor. Review
by Darshana Vora.
http://www.furtherfield.org/displayreview.php?From=Index&review_id=87

Furtherfield is an online platform for the creation, promotion,
criticism and archiving of adventurous digital/net art work for public
viewing, experience and interaction.

Furtherfield creates imaginative strategies that actively communicate
ideas and issues in a range of digital & terrestrial media contexts;
featuring works online and organising global, contributory projects,
simultaneously on the Internet, the streets and public venues.
Furtherfield focuses on network related projects that explore new social
contexts that transcend the digital, or offer a subjective voice that
communicates beyond the medium. Furtherfield collaborates with artists,
programmers, writers, activists, musicians and thinkers who explore
beyond traditional remits.

The majority of activities are self funded and are sustained by the
passion, ideas, exploration and skills of the Furtherfield team as well
as its diverse membership. Occasional public funding facilitates a more
in-depth collaboration with programmers and artists on specific
projects, usually leading to more intuitive audience interaction and
accessibility.

We can make our own World . . .

[IMPORTANT:Please read - due to a recent issue with our mailing list we
have had to use an older list which means that we may have some old
mails that were previously 'unsubscribed' by people. So, if you are one
of those individuals who had unsubscribed and now finds yourself on this
list, we apologise. Just put unsubscribe in the email header 'again'.
And all will be sorted out]