[Reader-list] Chennai's Roadside Temples

rakesh kumar singh rakesh at sarai.net
Wed Mar 24 17:16:48 IST 2004

Hi kalpagam

I am euqally interested in your project. In fact it is my one of the
most interesting subject on which I wanted to work. Although I have
worked a little bit on the mushrooming of such road side temples in
Delhi. What I able to find behind the uninterrupted growth of such
temples is the organised nexus of local level right wing politicians,
pujaris and some times local level municipal staff. In Delhi there are
two varieties of temples one is "Prachin Hanuman Mandir" and another is
"Shiv Mandir". And the process of these mandirs strats with the
'sthapana' of some stone, some photoraphs of kali, ganesh, hanuman and
others (and in most of the cases rejected by households) and suddenly
some pujari type of charater appears with a small donation box at the
sites and after few days  a  signboard comes out with  graphitee like
"Prachin hanuman mandir, Manokamna mandir, Shiv mandir etc."

Anyway I will follow your postings carefully. Its interesting, go ahead.

rakesh