[Reader-list] 2nd posting from Indira Biswas on broadcasting

Indira Biswas indirabiswas at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 26 14:11:37 IST 2004

Hello,

This is Indira Biswas working on the topic ‘Mediation through Radio: The
Calcutta Radio Station and the changing life of the city (1927 – ’57). I am
sending my 2nd posting of the work done so far.
Through my research I am trying to locate the institutionalisation of this
technology in a specific regional context of the Calcutta Radio Station
(hence forth termed as the CRS) of late colonial situation and early post
independence period. Through this I intend to explore the formation and
dissemination of regional culture at various levels as well as nuances in
identity formation within a national context.

As I have been focussing on the regional broadcasting of the CRS during its
early years (1927 – 57) of broadcasting, I have been reading thoroughly the
CRS journal Vetar Jagat published in vernacular language. I am also trying
to locate The Indian Radio Times / The Indian Listener not a single of which
could I locate in Kolkata or Mumbai. The Bombay Radio Station first started
publishing the magazine since 1927. It shifted to Delhi since1936. Any
information of this radio journal will be extremely helpful to me. I have
worked on the weekly vernacular magazine ‘Ajkal’ published in vernacular
language of the year 1934 and 1935. This weekly had regular column
criticizing the radio programmes. Unfortunately, I am yet to locate the
issues of the magazine of the years 1931 – 1933. I have also consulted
several other vernacular weeklies such as Naba Sakti, Dipali, Kheyali, Desh
and the newspaper Ananda Bazar Patrika.. I have also worked upon some of the
private papers of the CRS artists like Barada Gupta, Gita Mitra and Mala
Dutta. I would be grateful if anybody could share  knowledge about the CRS
performers of the stated period.
Findings of these sources are helping me to form a general picture of the
working of the station. I could locate information to questions like what
was the public response to this new media, who and what did they listen to,
who were the artists (professional or amateur, male or female) and what did
they perform. I have located some interesting information on the music
programme and participation of household women in radio. Both gramophone and
radio played a crucial role in changing the cultural scenario of Calcutta in
the first half of the last century. I hope to identify them by examining
issues like redefinition of identities, changing faces of social taste,
aesthetics and expectation of audience.

With regards
Indira Biswas
Research Assistant
Centre for studies in Social Sciences, Calcutta