[Reader-list] [Announcements] Three events: Mumbai, Delhi, Philadelphia

Shivam Vij zest_india at yahoo.co.in
Fri Mar 26 15:48:16 IST 2004

Three forthcoming events:
Interior Design, Mumbai
New Turkish films, Delhi
A play in Philadelphia

We would like to invite you to a live media art installation, Interior
Design, showing in Mumbai from 26th to 30th MARCH 2004. Please forward
this invitation to others who might be interested.

The artist, ASHOK SUKUMARAN, studied architecture at the School of
Planning & Architecture (SPA), New Delhi, and completed an M.F.A. from
the University of California Los Angeles (UCLA), in 2003. His recent
work deals with the physical space of computer-based sensing, and its
relationship to older, forgotten or unexplored forms of viewership. His
projects have received several honours, including the David Bermant
Foundation Award for 2003. He now works from both Los Angeles and
Mumbai. This is his first show in India.

Interior Design is an art installation where live elements of the
Outside are formed into a kinetic interior landscape. In its Mumbai
version, the work creates an experimental visual interface with the
immediate outside environment. It refers to a condition found in the
Room Camera Obscura of the 19th century --  a public viewing space in
which Kamra and Kamera were one.

For more information, e-mail Shaina Anand at kalakamra at vsnl.net or
phone +91.98193.96646. See also
http://www.chitrakarkhana.net/interiordesign.htm

Opening:

FRIDAY 26 MARCH 2004
4.00 p.m. to 7:30 p.m.

Showing:

SATURDAY 27 MARCH to TUESDAY 30 MARCH 2004
Daily 1.00 p.m. to 7:30 pm.

NOTE: THIS WORK IS LIVE AND DEPENDS ON NATURAL LIGHT -- PLEASE COME
EARLY!

Venue:

4th Floor, Kitab Mahal
192, Dr Dadabhai Naoroji Road
Mumbai 400001

Kitab Mahal is next to New Excelsior Cinema, and is near VT Station on
D.N. Road. Entrance to Kitab Mahal is from the New Book Company on
Dadabhai Naoroji Road, opposite Central Camera.

Supported by:

Apple Computer (Unicorn Infosolutions)
Hitachi (S.K. Office Solutions)
Nova Audio
Sula Vineyards
Aragon Services at Kitab Mahal

Issued by: KITAB MAHAL <announcer at kitabmahal.org>

* * *

FILM at SARAI: New Turkish Films

Friday, March 26, 2004, 4:30 pm
Gemide/On Board (1998)
Directed by Serdar Akar

Venue: Seminar Room, 29 Rajpur Road, Delhi 110054.

Four sailors aboard a harbor silt-cleaner live a routine existence
revolving around talk, drink and hashish. Their only image of the outside
world comes from the tall tales of the captain. Their isolation is shattered
one night when one crew member returns beaten up and robbed of their dinner
money. Drunken and stoned, they hunt down the thieves; the captain
accidentally kills one, while the sailors abduct a lovely young prostitute
(Ella Manea) and tie her up in the hold. They wake up the next morning to
find they are in a fine mess.

The Newsletter of the Sarai Programme,
29 Rajpur Road, Delhi 110 054, www.sarai.net
Info: dak at sarai.net.
To subscribe: send a blank email to
newsletter-request at sarai.net with subscribe in the subject header.
Directions to Sarai: We are ten minutes from Delhi University. Nearest bus
stop: IP college or Exchange Stores

* * *

  Award Winning Play by Two Newspapermen Begins Production

  Tom, Dick and Harriet
  by The Brick Playhouse

  April 7-25, 2004
  at The 2nd Stage at the
  Adrienne at 2030 Sansom Street.
  Philadelphia, PA

What happens to newspaper stories one day after they are read? They wrap fish, line birdcages and
help light fireplaces.

Here's one story that met a more fortunate end: In March 1999, The Philadelphia Inquirer published
a front-page story about a paternity lawsuit. It described a Pennsylvania man who determined
through a DNA test that the son for whom he had been paying child support was not his own. After
the story appeared, Inquirer author Shankar Vedantam and Inquirer editor Donald Drake asked
themselves if the issues in the story could be turned into a play. Can DNA technology really
decide what it means to be a parent?

After years of collaboration, Tom, Dick And Harriet won the 2nd Annual
Brick Playhouse Award for Outstanding Writing. Now, The Brick Playhouse will present the world
premiere, April 7-25, 2004 at The 2nd Stage at the Adrienne at 2030 Sansom Street.

Tom, Dick And Harriet follows the arc of a ménage à trois that goes awry: Three friends ford the
raging rivers of sex and love only to wash up on the shoals of marriage and parenthood. A 10
year-old boy becomes their ultimate test, prompting hilarious battles over genetics and
possessiveness. Inspired by the Inquirer story, this is a crackling comedy about politics, parents
and the press.

> Shankar Vedantam is now a staff writer at The Washington Post. A collection of his short
stories, The Ghosts of Kashmir, will soon
be published in India. One of the stories has been published in 2002
in Rosebud Magazine. He is also working on a novel and a new play about civil liberties in a
post-Sept 11 America. He is one of the authors of the book Violence or Dialogue, released in Oct
2003. He lives in Washington D.C. Visit him at http://www.vedantam.com.

> Donald C. Drake is a former staff writer at The Philadelphia Inquirer and author of several
plays, including Clear and Present Danger, which was produced by the Walnut Street Theater; Words,
which was produced by the Wilma and The International Theatre in Vienna; Final Edition, which was
produced by the Eureka theater in Eureka, Ca., and Saintly Mother, which was given as a staged
reading at the O'Neill Theater Center's National Playwrights Conference. Drake is a member of the
Philadelphia Dramatists Center and The Dramatists Guild of America.

> The Brick Playhouse is dedicated to the revitalization of all forms of the art of theatre in the
Philadelphia region. As the area's lone company dedicated exclusively to the creation, development
and production of new theatre works we strive to identify and encourage emerging theatre artists.
We are committed to assisting these theatre artists through the provision of real estate,
constructive artistic feedback, and abundant production possibilities, all of which are necessary
to develop and produce fresh, innovative and intriguing works of art. The Brick is also dedicated
to the cultivation of new audiences for modern theatre through education, access, participation
and affordable opportunities for the community to experience
both the process and the final product that is contemporary theatre.

To reserve a ticket call 215.592.1183.

( This event info brought to you by the ZEST Reading Group: