[Reader-list] Attack on people associated with the Mehdiganj (Varanasi) movement condemened.

Sachin Agarwal tellsachin at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 24 12:56:52 IST 2004

Attack on people associated with the Mehdiganj (Varanasi) movement condemened.

Dear All

We condemn the attack on volunteers and people associated with the Mehndiganj movement. The people at Coke seem to be going off balance due to the mass awakening and they recognising their natural right on underground water. Any amount of PR exercise of Coke could not deter the morale of the determined activists.

This right of people has also been repeatedly established by various judicial pronouncements. The actions of coke seems be desparate attempts to prevent the people from pursuing their rightful cause.  Especially so when it stands exposed on the so called 'social works' being done by it, on and around the Mehendiganj botteling plant.  Just to remind that the village pradhan of Mehendiganj has disputed all of coke's claims of social work in area.

We urge the administration to take stern against the people who tried to man handle the volunteers and issued life threats to noted social activist Dr. Sandeep Pandey. The people have their right to peaceful protest which any corporation cannot snatch away by using money and muscle power.

There are some reports from the scene of action which say that the Coca Cola company is offerring money to people who will stand on their side. What could be a better example of misuse of corporate financial strength? We condemn the unlawful actions the Coca cola.

All concerned citizens are requested to please express their protest in this regard to the various authorities of the state on their contact information provided below.

Chief Minister of UP:
Shri Mulayam Singh Yadav
+91 522 222 5757
+91 522 223 9296
+91 522 223 9234 (Fax)
+91 522 223 6768 (Residence)
+91 522 223 6368 (Residence)
+91 522 223 0002 (Residence Fax)

Chief Secretary of UP:
Shri VK Mittal
+91 522 222 1599
+91 522 223 8212
+91 522 223 9283 (Fax)
email:  csup at up.nic.in

Commissnor of Varanasi Division:
Shri Dubey Ji
+91 542 2502 158
+91 542 2508 203
+91 542 2382 333 (Residence)
+91 542 2382 345 (Fax)

District Magistrate of Varanasi:
+91 542 2502626
+91 542 2502727
+91 542 250 2754 (FAX)
+91 94151 45001 MOBILE

Regards,
Sachin Agarwal

Right to Life Action Group
Society for People's Action, Change and Enforcement (SPACE)
+91 94152 55042